mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
As the title suggests, it's not really a bug, just a slight little inconvenience. Basically, my notify list is empty, so why must I be told "* No one in your notify list is on IRC" evertime I connect to a server? Yes I'm aware unchecking the "enable notify list" option stops this, but if the list is empty, what is the purpose of displaying this message?

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
well if the notify list is enabled doesnt it still send the command when u connect? to know if ppl are online? ... as long as its checking its gotta tell ya something ...... maybe its setup like that so ppl know hey wait i dont have no one in there why have it on? altho im just presuming this as i myself dont have use for a notify list really ... on too many different places to really care who is anywhere

D3m0nnet.com
C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
Yea, I'm just not seeing why it should check if it knows no one is on the list.

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
well maybe your right there ..... that sort of thing would lower requests on the server ...... maybe its minimal but id think on large nets with thousands of mircs doing it at the same time it could maybe draw some bandwidth u could use elsewhere ...... maybe khaled should add something in to check if there is anyone in it before it tries to check

D3m0nnet.com
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Quote:
Yea, I'm just not seeing why it should check if it knows no one is on the list.

If it doesn't check first, how will mIRC know that no one is on your notify list?

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
Umm because mIRC stores the list internally? Therefore it can check to see if there are items in your list.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Yes I see that, but if you've got 'enable notify' checked, it's going to check it and give you the results. Maybe it's just me but I'd rather be told that nobody is on my notify list than think that it's broken. Not that I'm nosey or anything. :tongue:

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
Why would you think it's broken? Your list is empty, there is no need to check. Even if mIRC wants to display that message, fine, but there is no reason to query the server about something you already know is empty. If it wants to display the message even when the list is empty, it should merely check if the list is empty, then display the message. It shouldn't ask the server "is the list, that I know is empty, empty?"

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
I agree with Poppy, if you have enabled checked, you are essentially asking it to check and reply. If its empty, why have it enabled, thus telling it to "ask the server "is the list, that I know is empty, empty?" " Perhaps i'm misunderstanding, but seems to me that enabling an empty notify list is basically saying ok, i know its empty, but i want to you check anyway, so mIRC says ok boss, i'll check.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
I didn't "enable it" I did
/notify somenick

Then one day I decided to
/notify -r somenick

Therefore leaving my notify list empty. I didn't say "I'm going to check the 'enable notify list' even though I have no one in it", mIRC doesn't auto disable it when the list becomes empty after using /notify -r.

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
I think mIRC should check, even though nobody is on the internal list. The reason for this is that one day some crazy IRC server might implement a feature where it stores a notify list on the server for a registered nick.

However, up on connecting to efnet.demon.co.uk I don't get the message "* No one in your notify list is on IRC". On dalnet I do get the message. So servers have some part to play in this too.

C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
EFnet doesn't support the watch command, dalnet does. That is what is generating the output.

Link Copied to Clipboard