Page 1 of 2 1 2
#27902 03/06/03 05:22 PM
V
vrenak Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
V
Well some of you may know about the fizzer bots roaming some IRC networks some may not, in any case, most of those nets security services gets rid of most of the bots however some of the bots are broken and can't be cleaned out so i made a lil thing to help clear a net of those bots a short remote that activates when you do a /who * on the network (of course this thing is only of interest to IRCoperators)

raw 352:*:{
if (($left(~ $+ $10 $+ $9,10) == $3) && ($10 != $null)) kill $6 <kill msg>
}

note: this thing compares the real name to the username and if the first 9 chars of the realname when beginning with the surname is identical to the username it kills them off, furthermore the ~ prefix is required, but that shouldn't be a problem since none of them replies to identd requests

#27903 03/06/03 11:53 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
There's little point in killing them like that, they are set up to rejoin another network at random, which means they'll invariably come back to yours at some stage. If you just block the channels the bots use then that is a far better use of resources. If the bot makes a sudden comeback in a slightly different form to resist the attempts to cleanse connections then your kill command will probably kill your server instead. Most networks on Fizzer's list have been connected to 100's of 1000's of times by the infection since it was introduced.

#27904 04/06/03 12:30 AM
V
vrenak Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
V
as said this is to get rid of the defunctional ones, aka those that u can't clean out, so all u can do to them is make them go away

#27905 04/06/03 02:04 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Yes I took note of that, but what if there is a Fizzer Mk 2, which operates the same way as those that are immune to the exception error and your bot is just trying to kill them all? When you automate things you have to consider all possibilities.

#27906 04/06/03 03:30 PM
C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C

- cF
Dedicated helper for rent.
#27907 04/06/03 07:32 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
/me laughs uncontrollably. "International Federation of IRC" "Fizzer Task Force" "IRC Unity" are these people for real??? But anyway, thank you, I don't think I've laughed this much in a long time. That really brightened up my day.

#27908 04/06/03 07:34 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
what is a fizzer bot confused ?

new username: tidy_trax
#27909 04/06/03 08:13 PM
C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
"Codemaster" is equally funny, pal.

- cF
#27910 04/06/03 08:29 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Yea, thank God that's not my nick.

#27911 04/06/03 09:31 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Err, these groups are perfectly legitimate groups. I really don't see what right you have to laugh at things you clearly know very little/nothing about, nor do I see why you have the right to mock something that is not harming you in any way (YES, you were mocking them.)

IRC Unity is infact a group which has attracted attention from several head admins of the largest IRC networks there are (Including QuakeNet and DALnet) and are supported by thousands of people. Over 150 networks (big and small) have supported this - and yes, I have seen these network members myself. I'm really surprised you don't know about it actually.

The Fizzer Task Force is a group produced by IRC Unity to deal with the recent Fizzer worm threat which has been irritating so many networks. It's been extremely successful in doing so, and has attracted attention from several world-wide companies such as Symantec and McAfee.

As for IFIRC, it's just a website project to be a center of information for all IRCers - whether you want to see news, find IRC networks or see other IRC clients. It's harmless, it's fun and it's doing a perfectly good thing for the 'IRC Community' as it were.

Once again, to reiterate, I don't see what right you have to laugh at something - I'm sure plenty of people laugh at Unreal IRCd, but you don't see *ME* laughing at its high CPU usage, vanity features and instability (in comparison to Bahamut anyway), do you? *G*

Ta Ta.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#27912 04/06/03 10:01 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
My right? You are claiming I don't have the right to voice my opinions? If that is true, what right do you have to post your opinions about my post?

And who said I don't know about IRC Unity, I'm very familiar with it. IMHO it is doomed to fail. I've seen about 6 such projects come and go. Why? Because no one is in it for "the good of IRC" they are in it for "the good of MyIRCNet" If all the other networks died, they wouldn't care, it would mean their network gets bigger, which is exactly what they want. Everyone in such groups has a 100% biased opinion on everything. And you can deny that all you want, but EVERY small network I know of was incredibly happy when DALnet was having all their major problems, why? Because DALnet doing bad = smaller nets doing good. The users left DALnet to find more stable locations to chat. I didn't hear any of the small network admins telling these channels to leave, that the users should be on DALnet, or anyone even expressing any kind of emotion other than joy that DALnet was doing bad. Sure some people may have said "it's a shame" but they didn't keep that opinion when their user count jumped from 50 to 500 in 2-3 days. The small networks were also very excited when DALnet banned warez, because that meant the warez people needed somewhere else to go, so they hoped some of them were going to go to the small networks.

As for the Fizzer Task Force, when it first started it was a bunch of people who wanted to stop fizzer, a good cause imho. Then it turned into some "official group." But the best part about this was when I visited their site one day and saw a super-lame animated gif logo saying "Fizzer" That was incredibly funny to me. Why? When you hear Something Task Force, you think of something like an official goverment agency. You don't think of a bunch of guys with an animated "spray paint" logo. Yeah that makes them really look like they know what they are talking about.

As for the IFIRC, "International Federation" implies a group of MANY people from MANY nations. When I went to their "about" page it listed 7 nicks two of which were from the same country (and I assume more were as well), does that sound like an International Federation to you?

Now for your comments on Unreal, which again, if I didn't have a right to comment about these websites, why do you have a right to comment about my software? But in any case, when did 1% CPU get declared 'high'? Your right, Unreal is instable, just like something that is inflammable is prone to catching fire. If UnrealIRCd is such a wasteful and unstable program, why does ICQ/AOL use it for their IRC server? I'll tell you exactly why, those "vanity features" are the kinds of things they want. When you want a chatroom that is appropriate for all ages, things like +G (swear filtering) are a great tool to have. And guess what? Bahamut doesn't have it.
Also if Unreal is a program "plenty of people laugh at", why would we have formerly had someone who codes EFNet's IRCd, Hybrid, working on Unreal? I personally have very friendly relations with the coders of many IRCds, PTLink, Hybrid, IRCU, IRCNet, etc. None of those people ever declared Unreal to be laughable. In fact, coders of IRCds have help with Unreal. We have had patches submitted by Bahamut coders, long discussions with Hybrid and IRCU coders, and cooperation with IRCNet coders. If we are so laughable, why would they want anything to do with us?

Furthermore, I never saw anyone here say "would someone please give me the link to a fizzer killing program", Mr. c0ldfusi0n took the liberty to post the link without anyone asking for it, or expressing a need for it, i.e. unsolicited. Therefore in my book it was no different than your everyday spam.

#27913 04/06/03 10:13 PM
C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
I won't reply to what you said about IRC Unity, Fizzer Task Force or Unreal simply because it's not worth arguing with you. However here's something you should meditate on:

international: concerning or belonging to all or at least two or more nations.

federation: an organization formed by merging several groups or parties, the act of uniting in a league; confederation.

And lastly, "laughing uncontrollably" at something is not voicing an opinion, it's mocking something.

Have a good day.

- cF
#27914 04/06/03 10:28 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Since when is mocking something not an opinion? I would say it is one of the strongest forms of an opinion. Additionally I never said "Websters dictionary defines international as..." I said implies, that is connotation, not denotation. Of course you won't find it in a dictionary, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong. For example, consider these two words:
stubborn - Characterized by perseverance; persistent.
persistent - Refusing to give up or let go; persevering obstinately.

According to the dictionary, stubborn and persistent mean almost exactly the same thing, but do you get happy that someone calls you stubborn? Of course not, because it is a negative word, where as persistent is not. The dictionary tells you the definition of a word, not it's implied meaning.

#27915 04/06/03 10:35 PM
C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
Oh and my link had everything to do with the thread in hand, and providing a link is a much better and efficient way to get a point accross than lengthy explanations where people think, "I cant even be bothered to read that, it's too long".

End of the discussion.

- cF
#27916 04/06/03 10:37 PM
P
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
P

#27917 04/06/03 10:40 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
What question was your URL in response to? I don't see the original poster ever asking any questions, and I don't see Watchdog ever asking a question that would have required that URL. So if your URL was in fact not spam, and was instead a method of helping answer someone's question, what question was it answering?

#27918 04/06/03 10:49 PM
C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
It's a frequently updated and stable alternative to creating your own scripts to get rid of fizzer. It also uninstalls the worm instead of just akilling it. It was a pertinent post wether you admit it or not.

- cF
#27919 04/06/03 11:06 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Except for the fact that he specifically said he was talking about the bots that can NOT be uninstalled. So the link isn't useful since he specifically said thats not what he is talking about.

#27920 04/06/03 11:24 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
.... no one is in it for "the good of IRC" they are in it for "the good of MyIRCNet"

Some may have been but I doubt seriously that all were. Alot came out of sharing knowledge and possible solutions. It's irrelevant to compare this to previous efforts. I wonder how many networks are loooking at SecureServ and either introducing it or pondering on the same.

Server admins that are fairdinkum about security will use a tool such as SecureServ to help control activity like this. Those that are more interested in batting their bishops over their /lusers count are living in a world of make-believe. If having 10's of 1000's of warbots is preferable to getting in there and helping other networks with defeating them, and of course benefiting from the participation.

Think about it for a minute... Networks such as mine which have the benefit of being run by the national telephone carrier which is majority government owned could withstand attacks like this more than most yet we are probably also well equipped to deal with it because of three things:

1. Small /lusers count.
2. Large bandwidth.
3. Professional attitude and aptitude towards invasions.

Contrary to your beliefs one's approach to dealing with attacks has no bearing at all on network size, but rather one's desire to make sure that while the problem is not going to go away, it CAN definitely be controlled if people are prepared to use some nous, share experience and co-operate. Painting a black picture of the efforts made to combat what could have developed into something uncontrollable is just ignorance and stupidity. I, for one, have had a few sleepless nights in the past because of various warbot invasions. It's great for stimulating the mind but if not controlled, well many people know the score here.

In reality who gives a stuff about the fizzer logo mentioned earlier? It might stand out and say "Notice me!", I don't know, I can't say I remember seeing it myself. Perhaps I visited that IRC Unity website for the right reasons.

Even if the site only ever serves to combat this one problem (Fizzer) then it was worth all the effort put in by many people in both a pro-active sense (SecureServ) and a reactive sense, those who experimented for hours to discover the bot's vulnerabilities.

To laugh at it all, whilst it is a man's right, doesn't display alot in the area of intelligence.

#27921 04/06/03 11:46 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
You have to admit they got a power trip out of it:
"
PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- 18th May 2003"

I'm not saying that coming up with a solution to such problems is a bad thing, I'm just saying in my opinion their way of going about it gave the image that they are a bunch of guys looking for attention. I mean come on, press release? What are they, the head of a Fortune 500 company? Have you ever made a press release? I know I haven't, most people haven't, because to make a press release assumes the press cares about what you have to say. Other than a few computer/technology news related internet sites (CNET and Slashdot), to my knowledge, no major news agencies (BBC, CNN, MSNBC, etc.) reported a single thing about their efforts. Again, I'm not saying finding ways to fight Fizzer was a bad thing, I think they just took it too far and made their group into something more than it really is, which in my opinion reduces their credibility considerably.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard