mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
K
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
K
I've noticed the "Animate icon when there is activity" feature sometimes alerts when there is no activity. I am guessing this is related to server "Ping? Pong!" messages. This can lead to unnecessary checks. I suggest limiting the icon animation so that activity based on any server messages such as these are suppressed.

P
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
P
I think that technically it is a bit more involved than just ping-pong messages. There are all sorts of messages that the server(s) send and that mIRC uses under the covers to maintain the state (e.g. the channel users list) but which are not users actually speaking, and some of these result in channel window lines being added e.g. for joins/leaves/quits/kicks, whilst some are purely internal. (Try "/debug @debug" to see the raw traffic.)

But I certainly think that the tray icon animation could be more specific about traffic, and it could also be used to indicate whether there has been traffic that resulted in green or red highlighted messages since the last time the window was visible and active. And maybe have a scriptable extra alert (e.g. flashing the entire icon).

K
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
K
Great ideas! I didn't realize there was /debug @debug, so thank you for that info. Normally I turn on a debug log which causes a bit more overhead managing a log file, so this is very useful. After running it for a bit I only see PRIVMSG and PING/PONG, so I think even suppressing the latter would result in a large gain. Having an option to not animate on joins/quits/etc. would also help make the icon animation more relevant.

Link Copied to Clipboard