mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#271608 26/04/23 11:24 AM
D
Self-satisfied door
OP Offline
Self-satisfied door
D
Running MIRC 7.72 on WIndows 11, connecting to SwiftIRC. Every so often MIRC freezes, but not completely. I can't type or close windows but I can move MIRC around on the screen. Any ideas why this is happening? It might be a memory issue because although it seems to happen randomly, it did happen today when I opened PhotoShop Elements. Then it happened later when I hadn't opened anything, and no kittens were seen in the vicinity.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It does sound like the issue might be related to memory. In general, applications will either exit or crash when they find that they are unable to allocate memory, eg. when another application uses up the memory on your system. mIRC will try to recover and continue running but there is no guarantee that this will always work.

That said, if you are using scripts/addons, it could be that one of these is causing the issue. Please type the following into your copy of mIRC and reply with the results:

//echo -a $os $version $beta $md5($mircexe,2) $file($mircexe).sig $alias(0) $script(0) $dll(0) $com(0)

This might help track down the cause and hopefully rule out kittens as being involved.

D
Self-satisfied door
OP Offline
Self-satisfied door
D
11 7.72 5a3091040282a58470e4a452ad762c64 ok 1 1 0 0

It's just vanilla mIRC smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Okay, if it is just a basic install of mIRC, we will need to find a way to narrow down the issue.

First, can you try installing a new, clean copy of mIRC, into a new empty folder in your Documents folder, making sure to select the "Run as portable application" option in the installer. You should also uncheck the other options in the installer.

If you then run this copy of mIRC from your documents folder, without changing any other settings in it, do you still see the issue?

How often does it happen? Does it happen within a few minutes of running mIRC?

Does the issue happen when you do something specific, such as connect to a server, or join a channel?

When the issue does happen, does Task Manager show that your available memory is low?

D
Self-satisfied door
OP Offline
Self-satisfied door
D
I will experiment and report baxk!

Link Copied to Clipboard