mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
maroon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Just reporting an SASL glitch for someone in help channel, though I can't reproduce it.

They were using v7.72 and had set up SASL (/CAP) for connecting to Libera, and they sent a screenshot where I confirmed that they had everything setup correctly. However from a pastebin of their @debug window, it showed that after receiving the CAP LS listing from the server, mIRC was not responding with the AUTHENTICATE PLAIN message, as if mIRC didn't recognize that the login method was SASL (/CAP)

However, while trying to get them set up with SASL EXTERNAL, they changed the login method to SASL EXTERNAL (CAP), reconnected, then changed back to SASL (/CAP), without changing any other setting, and this time after reconnecting the 2nd time, mIRC recognized the login method and sent their SASL PLAIN password to identify them.

So, if someone is having trouble with SASL (/CAP) not working, they may want to try changing to the other login method then changing back, as I described above.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for your bug report. I tested this using both my current install and a clean install and was not able to reproduce the issue. Have you been able to reproduce this?

maroon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
I had tested it also, and wasn't able to reproduce it. But I am satisfied it happened, because he opened the server-edit dialog to show the settings, and everything was correct.
And he also sent a pastebin of the contents of the @debug window, and it was normal behavior for the login method being "none".
And then, the only thing he did was to create a global RSA certificate, then change the login method from SASL(/CAP) to SASL(EXTERNAL), then reconnect, then change back to SASL(/CAP) and reconnect again - to find this time the AUTHENTICATE PLAIN message was now being sent.
The only thing I can think of is that this situation was created by a specific combination of steps when setting up SASL PLAIN, and I don't know what those would be, so I was hoping that by posting this that either you'd think of something that could've caused it, or other users would report seeing the same thing. I also tried setting the password and the login setting as 2 separate edits, in both orders, and neither replicated. frown

Link Copied to Clipboard