mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
L
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
L
I just downloaded the newest version, and can't seem to find the dialog option for DEFAULT FONT. It used to be in the various options. When I right click on a server window, and click font, it gives me the option to Change it, to Use Default (check box), or Set Default (greyed out). How can I make my desired font the default? Using the /font command does the exact same thing. It might sound stupid, but I miss the ability to be able to set a default font via dialog control.

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It's always been something that when you set the font in 1 server window, that changes the font for all server windows.

If you now do the same thing in any @window, clicking 'use default' doesn't actually set that window to forever use whatever is the default font. Instead, it defines that @window font font to be cloned settings to whatever the server window currently uses, and it won't change that @window font to mimic changes in the server window

L
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
L
ok, so wait..... so the font that it uses is tied to whatever font the server window uses, but there's no way to globally set a default font anymore?? This seems really weird. I dont have a problem setting each window to a specific font, heck, I could just go into the INI settings and do it there if the INI file still has those settings, but it seems weird that there isn't a global font setting.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The way fonts are set and how the font dialog works have not been changed in a very long time.

How can I make my desired font the default?

You can set the default status window font just by changing the font for any status window and pressing okay. It will then apply to all status windows.

but there's no way to globally set a default font anymore

There has never been a font dialog option that sets a global default font for all windows.

You can set the default font for status windows just by changing the font for any status window.

You can set the default font for channel or query windows by checking the "set as default" when you change the font for a window of that type.

Also note that that font settings apply across networks, so changing the font for #channel or a nickname will apply to all networks.

L
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
L
So, if there isn't an option why does View --> Font -- > Font Window have a checkbox for "Set as default"? I understand what you're saying, that when you change a font of a specific window, it changes across all of those specific types of windows. Was this option, at one time, a way to lock the font and size to all of those window types specifically before many updates were made, which made that option redundant? I'm just trying to understand what I'm seeing, misremembering, and reconciling it with what I'm being told.

Font Window Screenshot

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
So, if there isn't an option why does View --> Font -- > Font Window have a checkbox for "Set as default"?

About ten years ago, when there wasn't a "set as default" option in the fonts dialog, users asked for a "set as default" option for different types of windows.

I added it, but because of the way the [font] settings in mirc.ini are not network-specific, "set as default" would apply to all types of certain windows (such as status windows) by default, so it was disabled in the dialog.

That is, I believe, the entire history of the "set as default" option :-]

I don't think anyone has mentioned it since it was added about ten years ago.

If I understand correctly: if the checkbox was "checked", as well as being disabled, that would have made it clearer? That makes sense. I'm going to make that change in the next version.

L
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
L
thank you for all the input smile

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
You can add this to mirc.ini also, not sure there are more, maybe Khaled will add the ones not in the list:

Code
[fonts]
fstatus=Consolas,415,0,2,0,11
fchannel=Consolas,415,0,2,0,11
fquery=Consolas,415,0,2,0,11
flist=Consolas,415,0,2,0,11
fwwwlist=Consolas,415,0,2,0,11
fnotify=Consolas,415,0,2,0,11
fscripts=Consolas,415,0,2,0,11
flinks=Consolas,415,0,2,0,11
;
;fstatus=