mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#270229 03/05/22 01:42 PM
eahm Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
Khaled,
Please, please make the IRCv3 echo-message optional because it causes a delay when sending messages.

Thank you.

eahm #270231 03/05/22 03:40 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
There is no delay of any kind when echo-message is enabled, other than visual.

The message is sent immediately.

All echo-message does is to let you know when the message has been recieved by the other client.

I have been using echo-message for testing purposes on different networks and it actually works really well. In some cases, when there was lag on the network, or when my internet connection disconnected and reconnected, it was reassuring to see a visual confirmation the message had actually arrived.

I haven't decided yet what this feature will look like in a release. For example, I may or may not:

1) Keep the graying/ungraying of text as a visual indication.
2) Enable echo-message with/without labeled-response. Labeled-response is technically necessary to make it work reliably.
3) Enable the feature by default or not.

The current beta enables all of the above for testing purposes.

Also note that echo-message is a superset of self-message; in other words, echo-message does the same things as self-message and more.

Last edited by Khaled; 03/05/22 04:23 PM.
eahm Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
Of course there is, clearly, the msg even turns gray for few ms before appearing in the chan after sending it.

1) Keep the graying/ungraying of text as a visual indication.

I see, that was your decision, I'll test again if/when you decide to remove the graying part.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

eahm #270234 03/05/22 04:22 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Of course there is, clearly, the msg even turns gray for few ms before appearing in the chan after sending it.

That is what it is meant to do.

The purpose of echo-message is to allow a client to visually display to the user when a message has reached its destination.

See my above reply for a fuller explanation.

Link Copied to Clipboard