Print Thread
M
Morbius Offline OP
Self-satisfied door
OP Offline
Self-satisfied door
M
Hello everyone.

I've been searching through google for a solution to help the mods of an IRC chat I'm in, but my simple self isn't finding a solution.. We are plagued with scammers and 1 random annoying person who keeps changing their IP after they get a permaban, so they can just keep annoying our chat. Our chat is IRC based. I'm hoping that with the experienced people here, a solution might pop up. I am legit dumb with scripting, it's not my world but I'd like to help my friends of the chat I'm in.

Is it possible to ban people with let's say a hardware ban or a mac ban? Or what would you guys recommend? It's out of my world and nobody in our chat knows what to do. The Ip ban they are using isn't doing much cause they just switch their IP and they just continu their shenanigans.

Is there a solution to keep these people out of our IRC chat? I don't mind paying for any script whatsoever, as long as we can keep those annoying people out of our chat.
Thanks in advance, and sorry for my poor English.
Have a nice weekend everyone!

Morbius from Belgium

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It's not clear what kind of chat you have. Is it a group of friends where you can create a channel key where someone can't join without knowing the key? Or is it a public channel that you want visitors to drop by, but not the troublemakers too?

You can hold some of the problems at bay by setting the channel with the +r mode which doesn't allow anyone to join until they've identified to nickserv. There's also a +m mode which moderates the channel, and nobody can speak until they've been given op/voice/etc.

There is no MAC ban since the server doesn't know it, and can't know if you lie about yours.

There wouldn't really be a hardware ban. The closest would be something which has the channel set to invite-only, then would require people to request entry by using a password shared between them and the ops of the channel. It could be a password shared by all users, or have each user given their own password so 1 password could be deactivated without requiring everyone else to be issued a new password. Invites can be a problem to deal with, because it requires either that everyone sets their client to auto-accept invites to all channels, or be limited to those running a script which watches for white-listed channels to accept invites into.

M
Morbius Offline OP
Self-satisfied door
OP Offline
Self-satisfied door
M
Hi, cheers for replying.
It's a public web-based IRC chatroom, we are trying to keep the "troublemakers" out. They are able to just switch their IP and then they are able to re-join. They are scammers so they aren't registering. Hence my post if there would be a solution such as a mac ban or hardware ban or something that would effectively help to keep them banned.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Well, as I posted,
/mode #channelname +r
would keep out the unregistered troublemakers
/mode #channelname +m
would make the channel moderated, keeping everyone quiet unless one of the ops gave them +v based on whatever criteria you choose. Note that "quiet" includes not being able to change nick while being silenced.

Since you want the generic public able to enter, a #channel key or a system where the ops have a list of passwords for a group of known users won't work.

M
Morbius Offline OP
Self-satisfied door
OP Offline
Self-satisfied door
M
Cheers for the reply.
There are just too many people that come to the chat for the mods to give them that silence command. Making everyone register isn't an option either.
Was hoping there would be some sort of script or someone with an idea that could help them out with these annoying scammers and the troublemakers. I've got 0 knowledge with coding, hence my mumbling request here.
Thank you for your help

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Well, it sounds like you're saying the only difference between the spammers from the good people is "this nick hasn't spammed us... yet"

There needs to be some way you can either identify is-a-spammer or is-not-a-spammer, and sounds like you don't have anything to identify someone as being in or out of either group until they do it. So since having people get a nickserv account is somehow not an option, it looks like you're down to waiting for them to do their spam then kickban them. But there's a limit to how many people can fit in the ban list, or how much you can limit their spamming by kicking them. In the war against spammers, the spammers are always going to be able to find ways to to evade spam filters unless their grab bag of IP addresses is limited and you can eventually build a list of them to be banned, and I doubt that's the case.

M
Morbius Offline OP
Self-satisfied door
OP Offline
Self-satisfied door
M
That's exactly what's happening. They just come in the group and send private messages to people with their scamlink. They don't communicate in the main, and the mods only get notified when someone informs them. I'll consult with them to maybe boost a few more people to a rank that can toss them out aswel, cause they are fairly undermanned for the amount of people that come. Thank you for your help mate

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
There may be modes that users can place on themself to give some protection. For example, freenode has a +g mode that keeps you from seeing private messages from people unless you use the /accept command to add them to your list, or unless you message them first.

/mode mynick +g

Also there's mode +R that can be put on your nick which makes it so you can't see queries from people who are not identified to nickserv

/mode mynick +R

Link Copied to Clipboard