Print Thread
#268358 15/01/21 04:00 AM
R
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
R
running mirc764.exe
after win 10 update, launching the app shows up in processes in task manager but no UI presented ever. I do get the yes/no popup to allow it to run from the UI. rebooted windows but no joy. ended the process and reinstalled mirc764 but no change. found nothing on mirc/windows 10 issues.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I have never heard of a Windows Yes/No dialog that asks if you want to run an application from the UI. It almost sounds like you are running mIRC as a service. Perhaps someone else here may have an idea? If you find a solution, please let us know.

R
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
R
backed out the two kb updates but mirc UI still won't open (no window in tray).
I had to use phone to take picture of the windows popup on launch of mirc each time.
[img]https://imgur.com/a/Wh0ZLHj[/img]
edit: I tried copying mirc.exe to a temp folder and it opened the UI but of course acted like a new install. still no joy in its regular location. is it possible to run with a debug option to trace errors?

Last edited by Rusteaux; 15/01/21 04:08 PM. Reason: added information
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
This looks like the prompt for a program whose menu item has been changed so that it has "run as administrator" enabled.

Assuming your task manager has the default setting of grouping by type, is it showing there as a 'background process" or does it show there with 'service' as part of the description?

If the program is set to begin by being minimized to tray, and the icon is being hidden due to being inactive, the mirc tray icon may be hidden inside the notification area where inactive icons are hidden. If that's happening, the mirc icon should be in the "background processes" section of the list of processes.

R
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
R
I did find the icon in the Tray. it has never launched to tray before. clicked it there and the UI opened. closed mirc and reopened and mirc opened normally. I don't see an option in Mirc to open minimized in tray.

re: the UAC the run-as-admin was not checked. I set it and loaded mirc got same UAC prompt. removed run-as-admin and still got the prompt. I might be misunderstanding. we could team viewer to poke around?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you paste the next command into any editbox or the status window, it returns $true or $false depending if mirc is in run-as-admin mode:

//echo -a $isadmin

start up as minimized to tray is a checkbox in: options/display/options/tray/"on startup minimize to tray"

If you want to teamviewer, you can send a forum private msg to me, or find me in ##mirc on freenode

Last edited by maroon; 16/01/21 04:32 PM.
R
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
R
only checked box there is animate icon when activity. the line says $true

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
so is your only remaining problem that mirc is launching with the prompt to enable run-as-admin mode?

R
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
R
yes the 'open' app now does not go to tray and only happened continually after windows update. the UAC is annoying but don't seem to be able to turn off the prompt. thank you for your help.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
This UAC prompt only happens when not-in-admin mode tries to launch a program as yes-run-in-admin mode. You can test this by using this command to launch notepad in run-as-admin mode

/run -a notepad.exe

If mirc is not in run-as-admin mode, this generates the UAC prompt. However if mirc itself is running in run-as-admin mode, there will not be a prompt, and notepad would be running in run-as-admin mode without the UAC prompt, regardless whether using the -a switch or not. I don't know of a way to launch a program not-in-admin mode from mirc running in admin mode, so you might not wish to click 'yes' on that prompt, assuming it lets you launch mirc without being in admin mode if you click 'no'.

since it apparently wants to run in admin mode without having that box checked in the 'compatibility' tab of properties, try googling for:

unable to start program without run as administrator windows 10

there's several different links with different possible causes for your problem

R
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
R
i did /run -a notepad.exe with and without the -a and both opened normally (my user is an admin in windows). I checked the shortcut that i click on and run as admin checkbox is not checked.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
As I said, the reason for notepad behaving that way is that a program running in admin mode by default always launches other programs in admin mode too. Also as I said, you should google those key words I showed, as there are several different explanations for why your mirc (and possibly other programs too) is running in admin mode.

Link Copied to Clipboard