OP Offline
Pikka bird
E
version 7.64 of mIRC seems to break the mirc_ss.dll

P
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
P
I would imagine that Khaled will need a fair bit more information than this to diagnose this problem and if necessary fix it.

He may not have a copy of the mirc_ss.dll and may not understand what it is supposed to do - and he will certainly need the script you use to drive this DLL, possibly simplified to the shortest form possible whilst demonstrating that it worked on 7./63 and no longer works on 7.64 - so you probably need to provide these.

P
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
P
P.S. I just did a search for mirc_ss.dll and there were zero results. So if you cannot provide the information, then if I were the one needing to fix this, I would have no way to find enough information to work it out myself.

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Maybe the change to loadinfo? Though I didn't think adding data to the end of the struct would have been a problem, it's been done already pretty recently. My DLLs still work. Maybe the DLL is accessing some identifier that's changed.

Edit: Protopia, your google-fu is weak, http://hawkee.com/snippet/9541/ although the dropbox link there is broken and I certainly won't be clicking links from other sources I found

Last edited by Loki12583; 16/12/20 09:50 PM.
K
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
K
What version of mIRC were you using before?

Can you provide a copy of the dll?

P
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
P
Hmmm .. apparently my Google "fu" is non-existent - I tried the search again (in google direct this time rather than via "StartPage.com") and it found the same stuff as you. I guess StartPage needs a feng shui consultant to rearrange their furniture to help them be more effective.

E
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
E

Last edited by err0r007; 16/12/20 10:31 PM.
E
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
E
I have found an updated dll by nacitar that does what I need and works with latest version. nScreenshot.dll

Last edited by err0r007; 16/12/20 10:43 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It would be interesting to know why it stopped working, since all v7.64 did was extend LOADINFO by adding the mBytes parameter at the end of the structure. This should not affect existing DLLs. Some DLLs do check the mVersion value at the start of the structure, which is the only reason I can think of for the change in behaviour, in which case this would require the DLL to be updated.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I didn't try to execute the DLL, but I doubt that checking mVersion is the problem for 2 reasons. 1 is that I didn't see any error message string related to mIRC's version inside the dll. 2 is that the dll appears to be compiled in 2007 when the active mIRC version was 6.3something, so I doubt they would design the dll to work up through future version 7.63

The url in the post above isn't a help, because they uploaded the dll yesterday without source code or indication where they got it from.

One cause of dll failure can be the OS blocking the file because "comes from another computer". But this isn't likely unless the antivirus is messing with it, or if the dll was downloaded as the DLL itself, without being inside a ZIP, and the OP didn't give any indication they did anything except upgrade.

Would also be helpful if OP says exactly what was the problem. Was there an error where the DLL couldn't be executed? Or just nothing happens? etc.

E
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
E
I'm really unsure of what the problem was but now seems resolved.

Sorry there is no documentation that I could find. The website where I initially found this dll years ago is no longer there. I searched through all my old files and was unable to find any documentation or the source code.

The issue was whenever calling this dll after i updated to mirc v7.64 from 7.63 nothing happened. I placed the old version back in and it would work as before. I tried this on various scripts i have with the same result.

Today I decided to try again and see if i could derive any more information I could pass on.

Imagine my surprise when it worked perfectly. I have no explanation why this would be the case. I again tried with all the same scripts as before and they all worked. I apologize for wasting the time of anyone that was kind enough to look into this. I am pretty well versed in this world but am at a loss as to why it wouldn't work and why now that it does.

Thank you for your time.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
No problem at all, thanks for letting us know. If you're running anti-virus software, it's possible that it didn't recognize the new version of mIRC and blocked it from loading the DLL. Usually, the anti-virus software will display a warning but that is not always the case.

E
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
E
Just as a followup: Everything is still working as it should. I did come across the mirc_ss dll with source and help file. So if anyone finds this thread and is interested in the dll you can find it @ https://www.tg007.net/archive/dlls/mirc%20ss_3771.zip

Last edited by err0r007; 27/12/20 09:22 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard