Print Thread
#266578 29/12/19 07:07 AM
S
Stephen Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
S
What would cause variables to no longer set on any level? I have tried blowing away vars.ini to a new file but anytime I try to set any variable I do not see it in the vars tab of script editor.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The most common reason for this is that one of your scripts has an incorrect number of { or } and this is causing the /set command to be overridden. To track it down, you would need to unload your scripts one at a time, use the /set command in the status window and then check the variables section. If the variable is set as expected, you have narrowed the issue down to a particular script. You would then need to load the script and check the aliases defined in it to narrow the cause of the issue.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
One possible cause could be accidentally creating an alias for the /set command.

If you have a line beginning with /set somewhere in your alt+D aliases file, that makes it intercept the /set command and perform that alias instead.

To see if that has happened, paste this into any editbox:

Code
//echo -a $isalias(set) $isalias(set).fname

If it says $true, then that's where the alias is located. If it says $false, then that's not the problem.

If the /set command works when it's inside a script, but not when typed in the editbox, another possibility could be an ON INPUT event which doesn't correctly handle editbox commands beginning with the forward slash.

S
Stephen Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
S
well while I was waiting for the reply I started unloading ini's and loading one at a time.
I came up with this this as the culprit. An alias I had started but had to stop to take care of something else. There is of course a broken bracket at the bottom. It was for a hangman script that I was trying to change to allow for spaces to be shown for a couple of word handman word.

/hangit {
set %broken.appear $str(-,$len(%broken.word))
set %broken.appear2{
if
}
var %l = 1
while (( %l <= $len(%broken.word) )) {
set $+(%,broken.letter.,%l) $leftind(%broken.word,%l)
set $+(%,broken.appear.,%l) -
inc %l
}
echo 4 %broken.appear
}

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Yes, by having that { bracket touching the 2, it no longer is a special symbol, so the } below the "if" line is closing out the alias.

This causes the next line "var %l = 1" to be the definition for an alias. I suspect you also have trouble with the 'while' command being redefined by the remainder of that line.

Link Copied to Clipboard