mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#266221 23/10/19 12:05 AM
R
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
R
I found a bug in the source used by mIRC in query windows when nick is scripts, treebar ...

I noticed that the window font for these nicknames is the font selected in the mIRC Scripts Editor and treebar.

I haven't tested it with the other items in the mirc.ini [fonts] session.

How to reproduce the bug.

Open two mIRCs.

In the first mIRC put any nickname and open the mIRC Scripts Editor (alt + r) and change the editor font to a different font than the windows. This process is required to add the [fonts] session to mirc.ini. Now connect to a network.

In the second mIRC put the "scripts" nickname and connect to the same network as the first mIRC.

Now, with both mIRC connected on the same network, in the first mIRC open a query window with nickname "scripts". Note that the source of this query window will be the same as the source selected for mIRC Scripts Editor.

//echo -a $window($active).font

The same applies when changing the treebar font and adding it to the mirc.ini [fonts] session

Last edited by rockcavera; 23/10/19 12:07 AM.

rockcavera
#Scripts @ irc.VirtuaLife.com.br
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
This is due to the design of mirc.ini, where nick settings are in the same section with other type of windows. For example, go into options/irc/logging, and inside "automatic log and reload", and check both boxes for "chat" and the box for "status". After doing some commands to put some extra chatter into the status window, this command will open a query window to a nick named 'status' containing the contents from your status window:

/query status

then uncheck those options if you don't want them anymore

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
I've reported that bug many years ago, here is one old thread talking about it: https://forums.mirc.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/223541/ from 2010 (but the bug had been reported before)

This bug is still unacceptable 10 years later, it does corrupt your mirc.ini by just taking a simple nick such as fstatus, this is the most basic and annoying exploit that exists in mIRC

And the fix is extremely simple, just add a prefix to the item in mirc.ini which contains a character that cannot appear in nickname, such a ':'.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for your bug report. This is a known issue and is on the to-do list. It actually affects quite a few settings where nicknames are used as the item name in INI files. Implementing a fix would require redesigning the way all of these settings are saved in order to get around a handful of reserved window names used by mIRC.

Link Copied to Clipboard