mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
V
Vuron Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
V
Some months ago, we got fiber with Gigabit connection, and it seems that Mirc is having trouble utilizing speed above 100Mbit, and also many files recived have error or are simply incomplete, Mirc just stops and even if it doesn´t stop over 50% of the files are corrupt, typical files over 4GB. I´m using Windows 10 v1903, 16GB , Xeon 1245-v3, Intel ET Gigabit dual Network adpter and 1GB SSD Samsung (download HD, windows is also on a separate 1GB SSD), so there shouldn´t be any problems with the hardware, and Mirc is the newest 7.55.
Typically I can get between 17-27Mbytes/s, but mostly at the lower end, I tried to change the network settings, receive buffers, etc, but it didn´t make any great difference, also I would get a lot of errors on archive files, even when they said send successfull, I had to redownload 3-4 times before, I got a file that was error free and sometimes mirc just stopped without any error msg and left me with an incomplete file. Someone in the channel or some other forum (can´t remember), suggested to try another IRC client, and so I did, and it didn´t have any issues, speed went to 33-54Mbytes/s and I haven´t got and incomplete or corrupt files, during the tests I made. I logged on as a different user, used same server and alternated with Mirc, and tested like 10 times each file (all between 4-50GB each) to make sure, it wasn´t a one time fluke, and the server is on a university fiber. I really like Mirc and I find it so much better and easier to use than the alternatives, so maybe the problem is that Mirc is still 32bit ? the 64bit socket and programming will resolve the problem ? I just wanted to bring attension to the problem since, it´s probably not many that have connection speed above 100Mbit, but the problems with corrupt files, maybe someone else also have them at lower speed ?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for your bug report. There would be no difference between 32bit and 64bit applications in this context.

Transfer speed: mIRC is a single-threaded application and intentionally makes the GUI take precedence over transfers to ensure that the GUI is usable. In practical terms, this means that transfers will necessarily be slower. This cannot be changed at this time.

Regarding corrupt files: I have not been able to reproduce an issue with this so far and do not recall anyone reporting such an issue recently. I cannot think of a reason why an increase in your connection speed would result in this. I have tested multiple simultaneous transfers with a range of files sizes from a 10MB to 10Gigs over a LAN and was unable to reproduce an issue with corrupt files.

Are you using anti-virus software? If you disable it, does that resolve the issue?

If you install a clean copy of mIRC to an empty folder in your Windows Documents folder, using the "portable" option in the installer, with no scripts or addons, and then test this copy of mIRC, do you see the same issue with it?

V
Vuron Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hi, Thank you for your quick reply, actually crc error stopped with version 7.55, every file is ok now smile I tried on 7.54 and got the problem, så v7.55 fixed the issue smile
The only issue I still have is the speed with Mirc, and thank you again for your quick answer smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I'm not clear what you meant when you said you had changed receive buffers. Does that mean you've changed the options/dcc/options/packetsize?

I've found that increasing that packetsize to 65536 has a significant boost to DCC transfers speed

V
Vuron Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Yes. I also tried to chance the settings with my network card, after changing the setting in Mirc failed, but it didn´t help.
Yes, changing to 65K does help a lot if your settings where low to start with, I changed mine many years ago, when I got a 2Mbit connection, lol, so long ago, time surely passes smile
I still have the issue, just tried an hour ago, 4 times alternating with different irc clients and the reading where done with Networxs 5.5.5 64bit, to make sure it´s not the client software that reports the speed incorrectly.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Hi, Thank you for your quick reply, actually crc error stopped with version 7.55, every file is ok now smile I tried on 7.54 and got the problem, så v7.55 fixed the issue

Okay. There have actually been no changes to DCC Send/Get in recent versions, so the cause is very likely something else, eg. anti-virus software.

The only issue I still have is the speed with Mirc

mIRC is a single-threaded application and intentionally limits transfer speed to ensure that the GUI is responsive. If you are already using the maximum packet size, there is nothing else you can do to increase transfer speed.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I have uploaded a beta that extends the legacy /fsend command to support /fsend [0-100]. The default value is 1 and represents the transfer speed used by recent versions of mIRC. A value of 100 will speed up transfers significantly, however it will very likely lead to GUI freezes and other side-effects during transfers. Note that /fsend always resets to 1 when mIRC is started.

V
Vuron Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hi, thank you, I will test and give some feedback, in a couple of days smile

Quick update: It definitely helped, but setting fsend 100, will also make the connection unstable, I tried at 50, and my speed improved a lot, but still a little unstable, I will try different settings and bots to test properly smile

Last edited by Vuron; 04/07/19 05:46 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Do you mean connection is unstable to the $network server, or to the other side of the DCC transfer?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quick update: It definitely helped, but setting fsend 100, will also make the connection unstable, I tried at 50, and my speed improved a lot, but still a little unstable, I will try different settings and bots to test properly smile

That is not too surprising. The higher the value, the more likely that the large number of transfer events/messages will overwhelm the processing of other windows events/messages in the single main thread. As well as affecting the GUI, this could affect other features. This change in /fsend is entirely experimental. If it works for you, great. If it does not, there is no other option at the moment to make transfers fully utilize 100Mbit connections I'm afraid.

Link Copied to Clipboard