mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Sat Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
As far as I know, there are currently two shortcomings with variable assignment where the variable ends up being set to a value that is not equal to the input value, even when using the -n switch to /set and /var:

1) There is no way to assign the two-character sequence "" (i.e., two double quotes) to a variable in any way.

2) Variable assignment is known to drop any single trailing space character. In contrast: assigning two or more trailing space characters, leading space characters, and a single space character with nothing preceding it, all works fine.

Both shortcomings have been there for a long time. However, I think it would still be nice to have some way to be able to assign values without any modification. That would make holding and processing arbitrary input a lot less painful.

I think it would make sense to extend the -n switch to /set and /var to support this extra level of preservation, but a new switch would be just as welcome.

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
As far as I know, there are currently two shortcomings with variable assignment where the variable ends up being set to a value that is not equal to the input value, even when using the -n switch to /set and /var:

The -n switch is specifically for disabling support of mathematical operations.

Quote:
1) There is no way to assign the two-character sequence "" (i.e., two double quotes) to a variable in any way.

That is because "" is treated as an empty string in core variable-related routines. This was implemented in 1996. Changing this would break scripts that use %var = "" to assign an emtpy value. Currently, if you /set %var "", the "" is converted into an empty value immediately and the variables section shows "%var" and nothing after it. However, if you manually type %var "" into the variables section and then "/echo %var", the "" returns an empty value as well. So the "" conversion is happening at both setting and retrieval. This means that even if a switch was added to /set to mark a variable as an exception to current "" handling, this would break when you next restarted mIRC because the variables file cannot store that information.

We could make the assumption that a scripter would never manually type %var "" into the variables section... in which case a switch, such as -q, could be added to mark a variable as an exception to "" handling.

Quote:
2) Variable assignment is known to drop any single trailing space character. In contrast: assigning two or more trailing space characters, leading space characters, and a single space character with nothing preceding it, all works fine.

That is because tokenization throughout mIRC is based on spaces. A space after a word is treated as a separator and is lost. Anything after the space is appended with a space between it and the previous word. While /set could be extended to preserve the entire line, this would affect all scripts. If a script has a /set/var/variable assignment that happens to have an unintentional space at the end of the value, that space would be preserved, which could change the way the script works.

A switch could be added, such as -p, that specifically allows this.

Sat Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
That would be great, on both counts.

Down to the details: I personally don't think there would be much use for two separate new switches for those two exceptions. Rather, I for one would prefer to see a single new "preserve input as is" switch that encompasses the current -n switch (which itself would remain as is) as well as the new -q and -p functionality you describe. I think that would cover all practical use cases in the most user-friendly way possible. Then again, others might disagree and I'd be happy either way..

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Okay, I have added a /set -p switch to handle both changes.

As described in my previous post: the next beta will still treat /set %x "" as setting $null, and this will still appear as just "%x" in the variables file, as has always been the case. The only possible backward compatility issue is if a scripter has manually typed %x "" in the variables file. mIRC has always treated that "" as $null. The next beta will treat that as a literal "".

Sat Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Sounds good, thank you!

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Is this change in the beta working the way you expected?

Sat Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
It is; thank you!

Saturn, QuakeNet staff

Link Copied to Clipboard