mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
V
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
V
My mIRC version is: 7.51
From time to time, when the mIRC icon is in the task bar on the right, as a notification icon, when I double click on it, or just hover it, it crashes from time to time.
It's not doing it repeatedly or frequently, if let's say after 5-10 days, in between I hover or double click, it randomly crashes from time to time.

Why is it doing this?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for your bug report. Please type the following command into mIRC and post the result:

Quote:
//echo -a $os $version $beta $md5($mircexe,2) $file($mircexe).sig $alias(0) $script(0) $dll(0) $com(0)

V
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
V
Originally Posted By: Khaled
Thanks for your bug report. Please type the following command into mIRC and post the result:

Quote:
//echo -a $os $version $beta $md5($mircexe,2) $file($mircexe).sig $alias(0) $script(0) $dll(0) $com(0)

10 7.51 4ff476850c039dc0ab0ae5c89057cfea ok 1 24 0 0

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It looks like you have a large number of scripts loaded and one or more of these could be the cause of the crash. You would need to unload them one by one to see if you can track down which script is causing the issue. Once you have narrowed it down to a specific script, you would then need to look at that script to see what it might be doing that could cause this, eg. does it make any COM or DLL calls. As this is happening after several days, it could well be a memory corruption issue, especially since mIRC does not process the hover event for the tray icon.

V
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
V
Originally Posted By: Khaled
It looks like you have a large number of scripts loaded and one or more of these could be the cause of the crash. You would need to unload them one by one to see if you can track down which script is causing the issue. Once you have narrowed it down to a specific script, you would then need to look at that script to see what it might be doing that could cause this, eg. does it make any COM or DLL calls. As this is happening after several days, it could well be a memory corruption issue, especially since mIRC does not process the hover event for the tray icon.

Hi Mr Khaled,

I have unloaded a script, I will see if i can narrow it down.
I am using quite a few popup scripts, could it be because of those?
In the past it didn't used to do that.

Also could it be because I am in quite a few channels on different networks, and the window buffer is: 50000

Last edited by vigilant; 24/11/17 04:19 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I'm just guessing, but since your problem starts after several days, the 50000 could be your problem, and it's taking a few days for the chat lines to build up. That's 50k lines not bytes, so each channel could have huge use of memory.

If the window buffer is the culprit, you can possibly induce the glitch to happen sooner by using /loadbuf to load 50000 lines from the logfile into several channels. The 50000 also governs the default max lines for your @windows, so some of them could also be tying up memory.

V
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
V
Originally Posted By: maroon
I'm just guessing, but since your problem starts after several days, the 50000 could be your problem, and it's taking a few days for the chat lines to build up. That's 50k lines not bytes, so each channel could have huge use of memory.

If the window buffer is the culprit, you can possibly induce the glitch to happen sooner by using /loadbuf to load 50000 lines from the logfile into several channels. The 50000 also governs the default max lines for your @windows, so some of them could also be tying up memory.

Hi maroon,

Thanks for your reply.

What do you recommend I set the max buffer to, how many lines so that mIRC does not crash.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
One thing I recommend checking is how much ram mIRC is using, if you are approaching 2GB, that would be the problem, it is really tricky for mIRC to handle situations where memory cannot be allocated.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The default buffer size is 5000, and that's what I've set my window buffer size at. Since you described yourself as having lots of channel windows, increasing your buffer size by 10k lines has the potential of exposing yourself to storing extra by 10k multiplied by however many of those channels are very active.

The main advantage of larger buffer size is probably being able to use Ctrl-F to find text in the window, since I assume you're not scrolling up and reading them completely. Perhaps a better solution for you is to shrink your window buffer then find a good 3rd party program that can view your channel logs to search instead. (Best not to let it write to the log in competition with mirc.) A 3rd party program might even allow better regex searches like finding text only if the line has <nick1> on it.

Another alternative is to just keep the window buffers small, and if you want to look at one of the channel's history, use loadbuf to put it into a custom window. This is rudimentary, and you can make yourself aliases to let you load entire file, or first lines etc. This loads the last 5000 rows from a file into @log window:

//window -r @log | loadbuf 5000 -r @log $qt(c:\path\filename)

This window won't show the events with the correct color unless you have checked "line colors" in your mirc-options for logging. You'll then be able to search this window with Ctrl-F, and if needed you can copypaste lines back to the original channel.

To use loadbuf or text viewers on a log file, you'll quickly become familiar with how log files combine the channel name + network + date to create the filename, or just use $chan(#channelname).logfile to get the filename for the current log

V
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
V
Originally Posted By: maroon
The default buffer size is 5000, and that's what I've set my window buffer size at. Since you described yourself as having lots of channel windows, increasing your buffer size by 10k lines has the potential of exposing yourself to storing extra by 10k multiplied by however many of those channels are very active.

The main advantage of larger buffer size is probably being able to use Ctrl-F to find text in the window, since I assume you're not scrolling up and reading them completely. Perhaps a better solution for you is to shrink your window buffer then find a good 3rd party program that can view your channel logs to search instead. (Best not to let it write to the log in competition with mirc.) A 3rd party program might even allow better regex searches like finding text only if the line has <nick1> on it.

Another alternative is to just keep the window buffers small, and if you want to look at one of the channel's history, use loadbuf to put it into a custom window. This is rudimentary, and you can make yourself aliases to let you load entire file, or first lines etc. This loads the last 5000 rows from a file into @log window:

//window -r @log | loadbuf 5000 -r @log $qt(c:\path\filename)

This window won't show the events with the correct color unless you have checked "line colors" in your mirc-options for logging. You'll then be able to search this window with Ctrl-F, and if needed you can copypaste lines back to the original channel.

To use loadbuf or text viewers on a log file, you'll quickly become familiar with how log files combine the channel name + network + date to create the filename, or just use $chan(#channelname).logfile to get the filename for the current log

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I have set the lines to 2500.
I think that would suffice.

Link Copied to Clipboard