mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
miruku Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
M
after connecting to the freenode network, mIRC makes my computer extremely slow. the mouse is so sluggish the computer is unusable for 10 to 15 seconds. why is that and how to solve this?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Not using Win10, so can't advise specifically for that version.

Does this still happen after you re-boot windows? In the 'processes' tab of task manager, does it show mirc.exe as using a high percent of the CPU?

This is a trouble-shooting info that has often been asked of people having problems like this, can you paste this line into any mirc window, and reply here with the text that results:

Code:
//echo -a $os $version $beta $md5($mircexe,2) $file($mircexe).sig $alias(0) $script(0) $dll(0) $com(0)

M
miruku Offline OP
OP Offline
M
the mIRC process isn't using a lot of memory or CPU. I would love to check it during the connection process but the PC is literally unusable, lol.

yes, it has been happening for a few days now, even after a reboot.

the result of the command you asked me to run:
10 7.49 97c5ea9ce0093eef4776a5ec6ab12d69 ok 1 1 0 0

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Well, the results you display shows that your mirc isn't corrupted. The closest thing I can think of for causing your problem is that I see you have 1 script loaded in the remotes window. I've had a rogue script doing a recursive findfile that took up computer resources, but unless Win10 is different, something like

//echo -a $findfile(c:\,*,0,1)

would slow down mirc, but shouldn't also bring the operating system to its knees. Other things to try:

1. unload your only remotes script just to be sure it's not the culprit.
2. Try connecting to a different irc network to see whether the problem happens there too.
3. If things come back to normal after the ON-CONNECT freeze, eyeball your status window to see if there are any blue error messages or other unexpected things displayed.
4. Try fresh install of mirc to a different folder, see if problem persists. Try a folder like c:\mirc\ after copying mirc.ini into that folder first. This should cause mirc to use that folder instead of c:\users\*\appdata\roaming\mirc\ as $mircdir
5. Try temporarily having your antivirus ignore mirc.exe in case it thinks mirc is doing something sketchy.

If one of these doesn't make the problem go away, it should be fine to undo the change. They're just searching for something that can be changed to make the problem go away. If you have task-manager already open and on-top before connecting, it's possible that you *may* get a display telling you how much of the CPU mirc is using, or whether something else is the hog.

M
miruku Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you for the suggestions. I just tried connecting to Rizon and everything worked fine. If I try to disconnect from Freenode and reconnect (in the same window, with mIRC being open for hours now) it still does the same thing. It does exactly after joining the channels.

It's funny that you mention the remote script, because I have none. My remote.ini is completely blank.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
your display of "1 1 0 0" shows your mirc's value for $script(0) is 1, indicating you have 1 remote script loaded, which is not necessarily the same thing as remote.ini - This used to be the filename where global variables are stored, but was later changed to vars.ini.

To see the name of the 1 script you have loaded, you can see it with:

//echo -a $script(1)

Perhaps it is blank, but it is suspicious that your freeze is network-specific. The scripts loaded are also found in the [rfiles] section of mirc.ini, where the 1st 2 lines are actually the file used by the "users" and "variables" tab of your "remote script editor" window. I have seen people with a script loaded that they didn't realize they had loaded, because someone had tricked them into loading a script using filename as the alt-160 character, which in many fonts appears the same as the space character.

You can unload the 1 script you have loaded with:

//unload -rs $qt($script(1))

M
miruku Offline OP
OP Offline
M
The script was in blank, but I unloaded anyway and the error persists. It is only with the Freenode network after joining all the channels on aut0join (6) and during authentication with the nickserv

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Ah, you've identified a couple more variables you can try elimininating 1 at a time. I doubt passwording with nickserv could cause this problem, but there might be something about the 6 channels that's causing this. Those are 2 things that are different than when you tried joining Rizon. Even if you joined the same 6 channels at Rizon, they wouldn't have the same headcounts.

If you add the following code to the REMOTE tab of the scripts editor, this might give you a clue as to when the freeze is happening, whether it happens before/during/after joining the channels, whether there's 1 big freeze or several freezes, etc.

Code:
alias debugline { return $asctime(HH:nn:ss) $1- }
on *:CONNECT:{ debug -i @debug debugline | aline @debug $uptime(server,1) $event $server }
on *:JOIN:#:{                              aline @debug $uptime(server,1) $event $server $chan }

M
miruku Offline OP
OP Offline
M
With the debug window I could more or less identify that it happens right after joining all the channels (I tried to reproduce opening a new instance of mIRC, but it gets so slow that I can't click the debug window before it starts freezing, and it changes to the joined channel window every time it joins a channel).

I'll do some more tests later, but looks like that running mIRC with the debug mode helps with the problem (sometimes it's not even sluggish at all, dunno why)

Code:
06:47:47 <- :weber.freenode.net 324 nickname #channel +cnt
06:47:47 <- :weber.freenode.net 329 nickname #channel 1398296480
06:47:47 <- :weber.freenode.net 324 nickname #channel-community +cnt
06:47:47 <- :weber.freenode.net 329 nickname #channel-community 1497620975
06:47:47 <- :weber.freenode.net 324 nickname #channel-dev +cnt
06:47:47 <- :weber.freenode.net 329 nickname #channel-dev 1400515215

Very strange. It looks network related but it doesn't affect my internet connection, it affects the entirety of my OS.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Hello, you didn't try to do point 4 & 5 from maroon's post.

Please try to disable any antivirus or firewall software (adding an exception might not be enough, it's best to try with them completely disabled, most of them allow you to do that temporarily).
How are you connecting to freenode, are you connecting automatically when mIRC start? How are you joining channels, are you automatically joining channels after connection?
Check the perform section in the options (alt + o > connect > options > perform), this option is equivalent to the on connect event which can be used in a script to do something after connecting, see if you have anything being executed there.

If you stop joining channels on freenode and just try connecting, do you see a freeze?
Quote:

I'll do some more tests later, but looks like that running mIRC with the debug mode helps with the problem (sometimes it's not even sluggish at all, dunno why)
This debug is not responsible for the better being of your machine, or it would be extremely weird if it were. If you saw an improvement, it means something was different.

Make sure you have enough disk spaces, make sure mIRC is not taking 2GB of ram.
It's also worth looking at mirc.ini and check if you see anything wrong.

Ultimately try to install a clean copy of mIRC (create a new folder anywhere and put a blank mirc.ini file in it, then just copy the mirc.exe program you are currently using in that new folder and run it, mIRC will fill the blank mirc.ini file with default value and will use it).

That being said, someone more skilled than you are would probably pinpoint the issue quickly, I can help you using teamviewer if you want, check my signature to find me on IRC smile

Edit: as pointed out by Westor, Upnp might be the issue, check out alt + o > connect > options > Ports and then the Upnp settings, uncheck everything and try.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel

Link Copied to Clipboard