Print Thread
#260391 16/04/17 01:59 PM
M
mruno Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
M
I am using mIRC 7.48 and it does not open on Windows 7 nor on Windows 2008 Server.
When I double click the executable, the mouse cursor turns to waiting for a seconds and then mIRC does not open. In task manager, mirc.exe is not shown as running.
I have tried moving mirc.exe to a new empty directory and running as administrator.
mIRC 7.47 runs fine in all of these instances. I observed the same scenario in the beta 7.48, but I guessed it was something on my end.
The only thing I have changed in Windows that may have an effect is I changed the TMP and TEMP environmental variables to C:\TEMP

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
The cause is usually antivirus software, you could try to add mIRC as an exception on it or temporarily disable the antivirus to see if mIRC is running

Edit: Just tried 7.48, I'm using Windows 7, no problem.

Last edited by Wims; 16/04/17 02:10 PM.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
M
mruno Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
M
I am not running antivirus software on either computer.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for your bug report. Unfortunately I have not been able to reproduce this so far on a clean installation of Windows 7. I installed mIRC under both administrator and limited accounts and it ran without any issues on both of them.

If you install a clean copy of mIRC into your Documents folder, using the portable option in the installer, and run that copy of mIRC, do you see the same issue?

M
mruno Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
M
Thank you for the reply. I have found it will open if I have mirc named the default name of mirc.exe. If I have it named Client-Network.mirc.exe it does not open.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
This is intentional and has been the case for many years. mIRC checks that its executable name begins with "mirc" and ends in ".exe". You can name it "mircrandomtext.exe" if you need to.

Link Copied to Clipboard