mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
A
Artalus Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
A
Hello everyone! Developing a small autocompletion tool for mIRC I've encountered a problem. At dll loading (/dll plugin.dll Start) I subclass the current channel window with my own WndProc. When I later remove this subclass in UnloadDll, direct call "/dll -u plugin.dll" causes immediate termination of mIRC. However if I remove the subclass in some other function before unloading dll (/dll plugin.dll Stop; /dll -u plugin.dll), everything is fine.

It happens only if I subclass the chat window; subclassing main mIRC window works fine. Also, once I subclass anything else, WinApi's GetLastError() starts flooding with 6 "invalid handle" and 126 "module not found" errors.

For some reason there are also two possible stack traces:
First one in debug mode:
Code:
>	0fa45551()	Unknown
 	[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing]	
 	comctl32.dll!_CallNextSubclassProc@20()	Unknown
 	comctl32.dll!_MasterSubclassProc@16()	Unknown
 	user32.dll!76466238()	Unknown
 	user32.dll!764668ea()	Unknown
 	user32.dll!764678b0()	Unknown
 	user32.dll!76467d31()	Unknown
 	user32.dll!76467dfa()	Unknown
 	mIRC.exe!014a7f9f()	Unknown
 	mIRC.exe!014ae0e9()	Unknown
 	mIRC.exe!0158ec7c()	Unknown
 	kernel32.dll!@BaseThreadInitThunk@12()	Unknown
 	ntdll.dll!___RtlUserThreadStart@8()	Unknown
 	ntdll.dll!__RtlUserThreadStart@8()	Unknown

And the other in release mode:
Code:
	0f187cd5()	Unknown
 	[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing]	
 	user32.dll!76466238()	Unknown
 	msctf.dll!ATL::CComPtr<struct IBackingStoreHolder>::CComPtr<struct IBackingStoreHolder>(struct IBackingStoreHolder *)	Unknown
 	msctf.dll!CicBridge::OnSysKeyboardProc(unsigned int,long)	Unknown

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Please provide the source code of the dll

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
A
Artalus Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
A
Dll source example

The crash is caused even at unloading this simplest dll.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
At dll loading (/dll plugin.dll Start) I subclass the current channel window with my own WndProc. When I later remove this subclass in UnloadDll, direct call "/dll -u plugin.dll" causes immediate termination of mIRC. However if I remove the subclass in some other function before unloading dll (/dll plugin.dll Stop; /dll -u plugin.dll), everything is fine.

This means that Windows is sending messages related the subclass when you unload it. You will need to follow the steps you have described: remove the subclass first, return control to mIRC to allow it to process any Windows messages, and then unload the DLL.

A
Artalus Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
A
So you mean that this is more of a feature than a bug? Is there a way then to somehow unload dll from the dll itself after a small timeout? Like, on "/dll plugin.dll Stop" the Stop() function would fill the char* data with "/wait 500; /dll -u plugin.dll".

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
This is neither a feature nor a bug. As the developer of the DLL, you will need to ensure that your DLL is designed to work with the application you are hooking into. It would not be possible for mIRC to cater for all of the situations that another developer creates in an external application. In this case, your DLL needs to make sure that once the subclass is removed, it returns control to mIRC to allow it to process any pending Windows messages, after which it would be safe to make mIRC unload the DLL. I am not sure what the best way to do this would be - someone else on the forum with more experience creating DLLs for mIRC might be able to help though.

Link Copied to Clipboard