Print Thread
#25960 25/05/03 06:22 PM
T
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
T
This hasn't always happened, only on my latest configuration of XP, but :

Using mIRC's /splay function, I get horrible crackling sounds on most MP3s at any volume. The files play fine on Windows Media Player, WinDVD and probably others that I haven't tested with.

Everything was fine until I reinstalled Windows this morning, now for some reason the method mIRC is using (which apparently differs from that of other players) isn't working right.

Could anyone perhaps shed some light on what mIRC uses, and/or how to fix my problem?

Thanks..

<Ingo> I can't uninstall it, there seems to be some kind of "Uninstall Shield"
#25961 25/05/03 07:44 PM
C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
That happened to me too, however i don't remember how i fixed it. I think i reinstalled my sound drivers and rebooted - then it worked. Try that.

- cF
Dedicated helper for rent.
#25962 25/05/03 07:59 PM
T
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
T
Great, not just me then laugh

I did download more drivers from Creative's site (and rebooted).. but I will try again just to be sure.

In the meantime.. if anyone else remembers this problem and a different way of fixing it, please add to this thread laugh

Thanks c0ld

#25963 26/05/03 11:34 AM
T
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
T
I've used the default XP drivers, two sets of updated drivers from Soundblaster.com, and the drivers from the disk I got with the PC originally.

Still no change. Is there anything else which may help ? Still only happening in mIRC.

#25964 26/05/03 01:30 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
mIRC doesnt play the sounds, it sends the command to Windows to play it (which then tells mediaplayer). Others have had the same prob, and found its the codecs. Use the search feature here, set it to all forums, expand the date range to all and try using codec or codecs as the search term.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#25965 26/05/03 03:10 PM
T
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
T
Thanks for the pointer, I suppose I should have looked around the archives first.

But.. my audio worked fine with no problems with both AC3 installed and all the codecs from the Nimo pack installed. These can't be the problem smirk
But there must be some other codec at work here, since everyone else is having the codec problem.

Thanks for the heads-up.

#25966 26/05/03 03:14 PM
T
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
T
Oh, I think it's solved.

I remembered that it used to work fine with both, but i uninstalled nimo and reinstalled just a selection instead, and it must have been one or more of those cos now it works great.

I want to thank you for opening my eyes to the suggestions already given here wink

mIRC Rulez! laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard