mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
Mollerz Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
M
Since I installed Win10, I have been unable to save the position of my mIRC window. I have the latest update [7.43].

Not sure how I can fix this. I think the problem may be that I'm trying to save it on my 2nd display rather than the main display, but this wasn't an issue in Win7.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Can you describe the steps you are using to save the position, just to make sure it's a problem with win10?

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
M
Mollerz Offline OP
OP Offline
M
So I click the icon in the very top left, and Reset the position to start. Then I clear the position. After that I drag it to where I want it saved, click the icon and Save.

I've also tried just straight up saving the position.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you use clear the position and do not save it at all, and then move/size the main mIRC window to where you want it, exit, and re-run mIRC, does it open up in the same place?

When a specific position is not saved, mIRC will always open up where it was last located when it exited.

If this does not work: if you move mIRC to the main display and try to save the position, does that work?

M
Mollerz Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: Khaled
If you use clear the position and do not save it at all, and then move/size the main mIRC window to where you want it, exit, and re-run mIRC, does it open up in the same place?

When a specific position is not saved, mIRC will always open up where it was last located when it exited.

For clarification, I am trying to save the position in the bottom left of Display 2 (My right monitor).

I tried what you suggested here and it opened in the same place as before, which is in the bottom left of Display 1.

Originally Posted By: Khaled
If this does not work: if you move mIRC to the main display and try to save the position, does that work?

Yes this works.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Unfortunately I am unable to run Windows 10 with two displays at this time, so I cannot test this. It works correctly with Windows XP, 7, 8 though.

In the past, issues like this have been caused by graphics drivers and especially so after a new version of Windows has been released. If you update your graphics drivers to the latest version for your graphics card, that might help but otherwise you may need to wait for an updated graphics card driver.

That said, it is possible that Windows 10 changed the way that multiple monitors work but this would affect all existing applications.

If anyone else here is using Windows 10 and can test mIRC on multiple displays, please let us know if you can reproduce the above issue.

M
Mollerz Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Yeah I never had this problem with Win7, so I'm assuming it's a Win10 problem. I have updated all my graphics drivers but they might not be properly set up for Win10 so I am assuming that this is the problem.

Thanks for the help though, it's very much appreciated!

M
Mollerz Offline OP
OP Offline
M
So update from my end. This still doesn't appear to work no matter what I do. Graphics drivers have been updated a few times but the window still pops up on Monitor 1.

D
D
I just encountered this problem. If mirc window slightly overlaps into monitor 1 space, it will not save the position on monitor 2. I had to move it a few pixels away from the other monitor until it started to save the position correctly.

D
D
actually.. it only temporarily fixed the problem. now i cant get it to save anywhere on monitor 2.

Last edited by dylix; 24/04/16 09:38 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Just to confirm: are you also using Windows 10?

Can you describe your monitor positions? ie. in your windows display settings, where is your second monitor positioned relative to the first monitor?

Update: I managed to set up two monitors with a Windows 10 installation. So far, I have not been able to reproduce the above issues. I positioned the second monitor to the left and right of the primary monitor and was able to save mIRC's position on either monitor, whether it was partially on either monitor, fully on either monitor, and maximized. My guess is that this issue is due to the graphics drivers.

Last edited by Khaled; 24/04/16 11:22 AM.
V
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
V
I have this same issue, on Windows 10 64bit.

I tried to update the application to the newest version as well (7.46) and still have the same issues.

I waited for the Windows 10 anniversary update, installed it, same issue.

I have updated my graphics drivers on my Nvidia card (368.81), same issue.

The first monitor is DisplayPort and the second monitor is DVI. They are running different resolutions (1440p Monitor 1, 1080p monitor 2).

The issue was not present on Windows 7. I also have a program in use called Classic Shell.

Sometimes my desktop icons will move from monitor 2 to the monitor 1 on reboot, but not always and it's unpredictable. Other than this issue, the only program window that does not save it's position is mIRC.

Update: I fixed this icon issue by changing my monitor from DisplayPort connection to HDMI connection. The mIRC window position problem still remains.

----

I have attempted to use HDMI port instead of the DisplayPort, it will not save position. The window will re-open, as if a brand new install, in the top left of the primary monitor if I try to save the position on the second monitor. The only thing that works is saving position on the first monitor. Once I save position on the second monitor and then reset to test it, the window returns to the original and default position on the first monitor.

It is almost as if the resolution or the location on the second monitor is invalid so Windows returns it to the default location (so that the Window doesn't disappear).

EDIT2: I removed my windows 10 DPI fix, no go.

I removed my Classic Shell, no go.

I changed the resolution of both monitors to 1080p, no go.

I swapped the monitors inputs: changed monitor 1 to DVI and monitor 2 to HDMI. When I loaded mIRC for the first time, it was in the right position on monitor 2 but it was the wrong size. I resized it and clicked reset, it went back to the default position on monitor 1.

When I maximize and then restore, the window goes where it should. When I minimize and then restore, the window goes where it should. When I exit and reload the program, mIRC returns to the default position on monitor 1.

-----

What appeared to finally work but very annoying!

Part of the problem is a result of dpi scaling. Right click desktop, choose display settings, set scaling to whatever is recommended for your monitor you want mIRC on. I had mine at 125% and recommended was 100%. Once I change to 100%, the window remembers where it supposed to be. This is unfortunate because the text isn't quite as clear as it should be as when I have the scaling set to 125%.

I also noticed that if you save the position, it saves the position incorrectly on the second monitor. It's best to just clear it and then move the window to where you want it and then close out the program.

I will have to figure out a custom DPI fix for mIRC alone so that it saves it's position and is readable. Or maybe there is something Khaled can do?

Last edited by vixro; 08/08/16 08:40 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard