mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#257295 28/03/16 03:22 PM
B
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
B
There is a bug in mIRC's builtin identd. If the "Use ID from email address" setting is checked (the default on new installations), and the "Email" field is left empty, mIRC always uses the value in the "Nickname" field as the identd reply to IRC servers, regardless of what "User ID" is set to in the Identd settings.

BenderUnit #257296 28/03/16 04:35 PM
Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The "Use ID from email address" option does not specify what happens when no email address is set, so I'm not sure how this is a bug? If anything, checking "Use ID from email address" should disable the "User ID" editbox, but I'd say that's really a minor UI issue. It sounds like you actually want the current unspecified behavior to be changed though - in that case it may help if you elaborate why?

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
BenderUnit #257299 28/03/16 05:19 PM
B
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
B
Well, the obvious reason I want this changed is because non-tech savvy users run into problems with their ident if the primary nick is changed while they have "Use ID from email address" checked but no Email address is filled in, but they did fill in a User ID. I think the User ID field should take precedence in this case, and not the Nickname field.

I can understand if mIRC uses the value from the Nickname field if the User ID field is empty and the "Use ID from email address" checkbox is unchecked, or if it is checked but the Email field is left empty, but that is both not the case here.

I'm not bothered by this minor UI issue you describe, though.

BenderUnit #257321 29/03/16 04:39 PM
Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: BenderUnit
I'm not bothered by this minor UI issue you describe, though.

Well, allow me to argue that this minor UI issue is in fact what deserves the focus here. The point of fixing this minor issue would be to make clear to users that the "User ID" field is not the place where they should set their preferred ident value if they have the "use ID from email address" option checked. This may make them actually look at the other fields on that options page, and see why having that option checked AND leaving the email address field blank is creating a problem for them. They can then either uncheck the option or fill in an email address.

After all, there is no actual bug here - mIRC just makes one particular choice for its fallback option. Rather, this is about about certain users having wrong expectations about mIRC's behavior; in other words, a usability issue. I'm not saying this to downplay the problem you're presenting here, because usability is incredibly important, and in my opinion not something mIRC always gets right. Thus, I think it makes more sense to solve the issue by improving the usability aspect underlying the issue in the scenario you're describing. In contrast, choosing a different kind of fallback behavior would also resolve the problem in that scenario, but not the underlying usability issue, and thereby creating or not solving problems in other user experience scenarios (there are probably more appropriate terms for this, I'm by no means an expert in the UX field).

Note that I'm just presenting an alternative view on the same issue here, nothing more.

Saturn, QuakeNet staff

Link Copied to Clipboard