mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
F
Faraday Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
F
For a long while, I've used the PnP script, 4.22, in mIRC, but recently I began wondering about possible replacements... before finding PnP in 2003 or so, I tried many other scripts, and didn't like a single one (at least not as much as I did PnP).

But since PnP is not updated, I thought perhaps I should change it to something else. There are inevitably some bugs due to the lack of updates (I've experienced one; sometimes PnP's config.ini will get corrupted for some reasons when there are too many favorite servers/networks, and all favorites will become unusable - don't know why, but it happened a number of times to me, so I keep backups of the file)

But, if I'm to change PnP, then what to use as the replacement? What worthy recommendations are there? Particularly from those who used (and are used to) PnP? (By the way, I mean a real script - something that you load in mIRC, like PnP - *not* one of those weird things that are distributed as standalone executables "independent" of mIRC - "mirc_upp.exe" and so on... I don't want those oddities...)

The second question (and the second potential reason why I consider replacing PnP with something else) - for probably about a year I've had very big lags and delays on joining channels with many users (say, over 500 users at the same time)... the more users, the bigger the lag. I suspect it's because PnP always attempts to colorize the nick list in the channel, but is it? After all, if I recall correctly, mIRC colorizes the nicklist too, and when I tried the big channels in "pure" mIRC on another system, they were quick, with no real delays. Is this colorizing the reason for these painful delays, then, or could it be something else?

L
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
L
Check out some of these scripting sites: www.mirc.net www.mircscripts.org www.hawkee.com or search for more scripting sites smile

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Personally, I prefer no script. The last script I used was PnP and there is no doubt that it's an excellent script, but it must be over a year ago now that I've had plain mIRC with just 6 script files that I made myself for my own purposes.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
J
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
J
I'm in the same boat as you as I've found PnP to be the most feature complete but non-obtrusive script out there, but it is showing its age. I'm thinking of eventually just going back to plain old mirc now that I'm on a network that really doesn't need all the protection/user-management settings, and the rest is just fluff. However, NNScript seems to show promise, and the latest 4.0 looks interesting, but it's intended more for the online PC gamer crowd so you might find it bloated for your needs. You can check it out at http://www.nnscript.de/ The themes are a bit loud though.

Last edited by jagels; 14/02/05 09:33 AM.
kap Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Originally Posted By: Faraday
But since PnP is not updated, I thought perhaps I should change it to something else. There are inevitably some bugs due to the lack of updates (I've experienced one; sometimes PnP's config.ini will get corrupted for some reasons when there are too many favorite servers/networks, and all favorites will become unusable - don't know why, but it happened a number of times to me, so I keep backups of the file)

Hi! I'm part of a small team that tries to keep pai's PnP alive. We're committed to fixing bugs, making it work with the latest mIRC version and providing help and detailed information upon request. So in a sense it it still updated! I haven't heard of nor experienced the config.ini corruption and if you are still using PnP please help us by filing your bug report over at: https://github.com/solbu/Peace-and-Protection/issues or at the forum: http://www.kristshell.net/pnp/forum/.

But, if I'm to change PnP, then what to use as the replacement? What worthy recommendations are there? Particularly from those who used (and are used to) PnP? (By the way, I mean a real script - something that you load in mIRC, like PnP - *not* one of those weird things that are distributed as standalone executables "independent" of mIRC - "mirc_upp.exe" and so on... I don't want those oddities...)

I have tried a few other scripts and imho none match PnP in style and substance. NoNameScript comes close, but doesn't work (well / at all) on mIRC 7.43. However you may like the look of nbs-irc. Look here for a quick review: http://www.stpircscrim.org/index.php/r-eviews/76-quick-review-of-nbs-irc-for-mirc
Another script you may want to check out is ircN. Furthermore here's a comparison of scripts I detailed: http://www.stpircscrim.org/index.php/a-rticles/77-comparison-of-mirc-scripts

The second question (and the second potential reason why I consider replacing PnP with something else) - for probably about a year I've had very big lags and delays on joining channels with many users (say, over 500 users at the same time)... the more users, the bigger the lag. I suspect it's because PnP always attempts to colorize the nick list in the channel, but is it? After all, if I recall correctly, mIRC colorizes the nicklist too, and when I tried the big channels in "pure" mIRC on another system, they were quick, with no real delays. Is this colorizing the reason for these painful delays, then, or could it be something else?

Yup, PnP runs a bit of code when you join a channel, including a WHO. The return values of the WHO are processed by PnP.

You may find the on JOIN event in line 110-118 in the file script.mrc:
Code:
; Temp - May expand/replace later
on me:^*:JOIN:#:{
  ; (highlight on join)
  window -g1 " $+ $chan $+ "
  repjoin -r $chan
  if ($ial) if ($chan($chan).inwho == $false) _linedance _who.queue $chan hide
  if ($_cfgi(fill.chan)) _recent chan $_cfgi(num.chan) 0 $chan
  _recseen 10 chan $chan
}

The _who.queue alias as well as code that processes the WHO return values are found in rawdisp.mrc line 405 onwards:

Code:
; /_who.queue channel command/hide
; Queues a 'who'; Make sure you are queing a single channel (no nicks, no wildcards, etc)
alias _who.queue {
  hadd -m pnp.qwho $cid $+ . $+ $1 $2-
  .raw who $1
}

I know this is ages old, but I figured I'd write a reply anyway smile

Cheers!

GNU Terry Pratchett - Looking for a mIRC help channel -> Check #mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net
O
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
O
I haven't used PnP script or any other script except DreamIRC Script. It has tones of needy feautures and most of them, if not all, can be easily turned on/off. A very cool and easy to use server manager. Music player, Operator Assistance, aka+last seen system and very nice "user interface" with nice matching of colour. But perhaps it's best to read the full description written by it's scripter, eL^Topo .
http://dreamirc.ucoz.com

Last edited by OrFeAsGr; 08/01/16 10:57 PM.
kap Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Hi, I'd like to try out DreamIRC, but I get a virus warning message:

http://www.stpircscrim.org/images/reviews/fullscripts/dreamirc/1_dreamIRC_viruswarning.png

Also, 13MB seems a bit hefty for a full mirc script, sure it's not a factor of ten smaller?

To get back on topic, not sure what can be done to make PnP faster when joining populated chans.
I suppose you could increase the size of the hash tables:
$+(pnp.nickflag.,$cid,.,$chan) $+(pnp.nickcol.,$cid,.,$chan) and perhaps $+(pnp.flood.,$cid,.,$chan) from 40 to 100 (or whatever you like) on line 842, 844, 846 - first.mrc...

Then again, I don't know if lagging on joining populated chans (500+) is still an issue. mIRC is at 7.43 now and PC's and most of all internet connections these days are several orders of magnitude faster than they were at the date of the original poster.

edit: I just went on weber.freenode.net/znc with 935 users and it was pretty quick smile (this is without changing the hash table sizes)

Last edited by kap; 12/01/16 10:46 AM.

GNU Terry Pratchett - Looking for a mIRC help channel -> Check #mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
This warning in the photo is just because you are downloading an .exe file from the UCOZ provider, it doesn't mean that it's a virus included is just an ad-annoying message, ignore it, the DreamIRC script is full-tested and it is clean.

The hashes are one of the most fast feature in the mIRC (cause of memory usage) this script is releated to them.

Now about the PnP try to enable disable any of this setting in the UPnp box in the mIRC options -> Connect -> Options -> Ports and try to rejoin into the channels in order to see if you are still get Lag in 500+ channels.

- Thanks!

Need Online mIRC help or an mIRC Scripting Freelancer? -> https://irc.chathub.org <-

Link Copied to Clipboard