mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
N
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
N
It would be nice if mirc offered something like this... This web site offers it, aol instant messanger offers it...

Example: If a ":)" is found in an event it is displayed as a graphic rather than being displayed as text...

It's a complex situation given the existing mirc enviroment, and I have NO IDEA how to implement... I just know it's a good idea... smile

NaquadaBomb
www.mirc-dll.com
T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
it's stupid.

mIRC is a TEXT-BASED client, not an instant messenger programme.

trenzterra
AustNet #trenzterra and #w
Head Scripter @ http://trenzterra.uni.cc
N
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
N
Ahh, the weak minded.... I guess we need to have all kinds in this world, unfortuantly... To say "It's stupid" isn't really constructive criticism....

Sorry, don't mean to insult.... But the abaility to do so at least through scripts should be added... It increases mine/others enjoyment of using IRC.

NaquadaBomb
www.mirc-dll.com
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
A) - This has been posted several times, quite recently.

B) - It would have to be a client side only interpretation. IRC is a text protocol. As far as I know, there are no graphical protocols attached to most IRC servers.

C) - It would have to be implemented as an option, as there are those that do want it, and those that don't.

I personally dislike it.

--------
mIRC - fun for all the family (except grandma and grandpa)
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Your argument isn't really a good one. Emoticons are 1000x more related to IRC than the majority of other feature suggestions posted here (scripting extensions, music playing extensions, etc, etc). I really don't understand how mIRC has gone this long without emoticons. Other clients support it, why shouldn't mIRC? Other than people say it "is stupid" you really can't give an argument other than "mIRC is text-only" in which case, anyone who says such things, please start up another post to tell Khaled to quickly and promptly remove anything in mIRC that is not specifically related to text-based chatting. Please tell me what playing mp3s/wma/etc has to do with text chatting? What does an fserv have to do with text chatting? What does 75% of the scripting abilities (sockets come to mind) have to do with text chatting? The list goes on and on. mIRC is more than a text chatting client, and I see no reason why emoticons shouldn't be added. If you are going to mention things like flooding and stuff, then please use the search feature and see that I and others have already come up with solutions to that.

A
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
A
The emoticon crap better not be default if they (he, the man) add it... or atleast one should be able to turn it off..

I don't even like forums that changes : ) ... (added space as this forum does) ... to an image ...

I don't really care if this "feature" gets added or not ... but we better be able to turn it off ..

--------------------------------------------------
I really don't know anything.... I just fake it
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I'd have to agree, but I do enjoy them in aim, icq, forums--but I don't feel mirc is the place to have it. If it is added, i do hope it is an option.

-KingTomato
Z
zac Offline
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
Z
My only argument against it is for the times when I don't want it to be emoted. It really screws up code I'm pasting, or a sentence I'm trying to say. This, for one, is the reason why GAIM has emoticons killed. laugh

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Yes it can be annoying depending on what you are pasting, but the options set could be rahter advanced. "Do not display emoticons in the following channels:" that way when you are pasting code, you can simply disable it for that channel.

B
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
B
Adding to the basic idea:
There could be a switch in mIRC to turn it on and off (completely), plus more advanced options for if the person does have it on, such as not displaying emoticons in a sentence if the sentence contains the following inside of it: :*:
wildcards would be allowed.

Perhaps mIRC could have a smart copy, where if you copy an emoticon, it copys as whatever it really is. Such as copying "hi smile how are you?" would translate to "hi : ) how are you?", without the space between the : and )

Since mIRC is not natively AOLized, many people may not want their mIRC to have emoticons as native to it, as in, not default. smile

Personally, I like emoticons in some situations, in others I don't like them. Truthfully, it all depends on how well the emoticon actually "says what I mean it to". If the smiley face is crappy looking to me, everytime I use it, I get the urge to kill. I may like other emoticons though.. So because of this, I think the emoticons should be configurable to look like whatever I want them to (I could create my own set or load other sets, or even specify a different pic for each face).

Idealy, it would look that way to the person I'm talking to as well, but I doubt people using non mIRC clients would want to see something like "hi guys 23423" (where 23423 is the code that mIRC would use to show the correct emoticon. ie, it would convert the ": )" you typed to the code of the smiley face you selected, then the clients of the other mIRC's would display the correct emoticon)

For scripters:
on ^*:emoticon:*:#channel,?:{ if (: $+ $chr(41) isin $1-) { haltdef } }
$emoticon([N])

$emoticon would be used with the "on emoticon" event, and it returns whatever the text is for that emoticon.
$emoticonN would return the emoticon code number.

not just for the event:
$emoticon(0) would return the total number of emoticons
$emoticon(1) would return the first emoticon..
$emoticon(5).num would return the code number for the fifth one or the actual emoticon if echoed.
$emoticon(43453).code would return the emoticon if echoed, or just the emoticon code if used in a script somewhere.

I'm sure there's a few blanks that can be filled in there..

- Wherever you go there you are.[color:lightgreen]
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Well thats why, when this was suggested a while ago, I suggested user defined smileys. Like mIRC has a built in list of some of the common ones, but maybe I use some "smileys" mIRC doesn't consider "standard" like say maybe *upset* should work just like : ( and make a image. User defined smileys would solve this. It would also make it themable. Like if my theme is a yellow bg with black text, well the yellow smileys that are default will probably look horrible, but mIRC has a mirc\smiley folder with all the default smileys (and where the user can add his/her own smiley images), so I can change it to a more appropriate color. Basically like a dialog that has a list of the "smiley" words, and the img file they translate to. You can add/edit/delete from this list to whatever your liking is.

However, I do NOT agree with sending a code to other clients. This will screw up compatibility horribly, and even if it didn't, what is to stop mIRC from having code 123 = smile and say XChat has code 123 = frown thats a bad idea imho, it should only display on your screen and send the smiley text to the remote users and their clients can interpret it as they wish.

Also I disagree with the scripting stuff. Emoticons should have no real effect on scripting, meaning ON TEXT should perform just as it did before. I see no need for an ON EMOTICON, it can be handled with ON TEXT:

Code:
ON ^*:TEXT:$(:P):#chan:{
   .echo $target $nick - $emoticon($1-,:P,tongue.gif)
   haltdef
}

That would tell mIRC that it should replace :P with whatever tongue.gif contains, then echo it to $target. This would not, however override the builtin mIRC emoticons, meaning if mIRC has a rule saying : ) = smile then it would also change that in addition to the :P, meaning :P is in addition to the default emoticons, it does not ignore them. Perhaps $emoticon/$emoticoncs could have a flag that would tell it to completely ignore emoticons set from within mIRC's settings?

Then $emoticon:
$emoticon(text,subtext,file,subtext2,file2,...,...)
This takes text, and replaces all occurrances of subtext with file, and all occurances of subtext2 with file2, etc. Basically think $replace except instead of replacing with text, it replaces with an image. I'd guess a $emoticoncs should also be added for things like maybe : o and shocked should have different images. Using this syntax should function correctly when passing the result to /echo so that you can echo text with images displayed, also with /did so you can put it in dialogs, etc.

$emoticon(N)[.file]
Returns the smiley text ie ;(, of the Nth smiley, if N is 0 it returns the total number of smileys, and if .file is specified, it returns the filename of the smiley.

Lastly, there should be a /echo and /did flag to disable parsing of builtin smileys:
/echo -E this is a test : )
would print that literal text instead of
this is a test smile

note any where you see something like : ) the space is just there to prevent the forum from displaying it as an image.

I'm aware my scripting solutions are far from perfect, but perhaps others can make suggestions, rather than just saying "it's stupid"

B
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
B
more things would be possible if there was an "on emoticon" event. Such as replacing the emoticon with a different graphic depending on the nickname of the person, what channel it was said on, what day it is, what time of day it is.. Get what I mean? That way there could be at least a script created to allow for customization of smiley faces for use with groups of friends, where both people see the same emoticon.

Get what I'm saying? smile

I didn't include a way to "replace the graphic with another one" before displaying it. I don't really feel like thinking of an example of how to do this right now (I'm a bit tired), but it could be implimented.

---- This idea of replacing an image with another one could be expanded to "remove a pic" and/or "add a pic" to a certain point in text. This way someone could create a script that uses "on text" for replacing certain text with a certain pic, such a link to a jpg file to the actual picture, in the text. (it would use the socks commands to connect to the server, download the picture, then trigger the actual event that replaces the link to the pic with the picture).

C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
Emoticons - ew. I personally would hate them, at imagine how it would slow mIRC down? Having to render and rerender... I know MSN IM sucks when someone pastes sevral hundred smile 's ione after the other. I dunno if mIRC's channel "control" would even be able to deal with it, it seems as though it might be able to consdering the ability to take background images, 'hotlinks' etc.

If it got added, I think that being able to customise the smileys would be a great idea - scripting wouldn't be affected at all... pasting could be done just fine.

We as a mIRC community could do a temporary fix - open up word and type : ) (no space)... you get a text replace of J rendered in "Carta" - a smiley. So its possible to choose one character to count as each smile and do a custom font, the trouble is merely finding the free characters...
chr(1) is out for DCC purposes, as are A-Za-z0-9_-+ etc, but there are still quite a few out there. Screw talking , I jsut inspired myself to do it. brb.

C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
Well, I did it, its VERY simple and not even released on mIRCscripts.org yet, but I just wrote a simple script (and with the help of Font Creator 4) a .ttf file that overwrites ó õ ô ò ö with smile :| frown >:| :P, done in a modified VERDANA font. If you don't like it, smeh. Its jsut an example. It'll prolly become an MTS theme any day now.

It took about 30 minutes from paintbrush to mIRC, so you can see its prolly not a very polished script.

The Emoticons Script

B
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
B
http://24.28.48.142/temp/

You can't direct link with geocities. (there's also an example/matchup pic there)

--- btw, I got XIAOXIAO 1-8, if you want em..

Last edited by BoredNL; 25/05/03 04:35 PM.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Ok well yes if you use mRC on a 100Mhz it will be slow, I don't think it will on a fast PC. And I have proof. Right now, the web page I am looking at (this page I am typing my post in) has 38 smiley icons on it. I can scroll the window up/down, maximize/minimize, no slow down at all. If it were slow in mIRC, then it means that Khaled didn't code it correctly, because it is far from slow in IE. And in any case, I already proposed a solution to this. "Only translate N smileys in each line of text." If more than N smileys are received in a single msg, it ignores all but the first N. As for doing it in multiple lines, mIRC already has flood protection, if you choose not to enable it, don't blame us for suggesting a new feature, blame yourself for decided to disable the protection features of mIRC.

Link Copied to Clipboard