Print Thread
#255730 15/11/15 09:16 PM
P
Plornt Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
P
This is something thats been frustrating me for a while but hardly any computer I use has a break key. Sometimes you have a rouge script causing your mIRC to crash yet you cant get out of it because the key combo does not exist.

When I run a bot I also usually put it on a server and connect to it via my mac which literally has no concept of a break key and there for no way of sending it to the remote machine (also an issue if you run mIRC under wine but thats not an officially supported platform - its a bit annoying because apart from that theres literally nothing I have found that is unsupported by mIRC)

Is there any way we can get an alternate key combination using more common keys?

Thanks

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
+1 to this. My keyboard also does not have scroll lock/pause/break keys.

Maybe ctrl+shift+end or something?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
P
Plornt Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
P
Originally Posted By: argv0
+1 to this. My keyboard also does not have scroll lock/pause/break keys.

Maybe ctrl+shift+end or something?

My laptop keyboards also do not have an end key heh although my normal computer does. How about CTRL + ALT + B(reak) or D(el) or E(nd)

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Apple keyboards on laptops and the mini external keyboards have fn shortcuts for the end key:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2572168
Other keyboards too: http://superuser.com/questions/412761/mini-keyboard-has-no-home-end-keys-how-to-type-them

So it would be Ctrl+Shift+Fn+Right for you. I know this because my keyboard in question is an Apple keyboard. I assume this is the keyboard you're referring to. Almost all keyboards have "End" in some form because it's far too common in applications to get away with omitting.

That said, maybe it's worth just having a configurable shortcut in mIRC's options window, that way we can just leave Ctrl+Break as the default and let users with different keyboards customize it in whatever way works for them.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
C
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
C
I like this idea.. For me, I'm used to the old DOS method of simply hitting CTRL+C to interrupt any command/batch file/script, which is a lot easier to hit on my laptop than what I currently have to do: CTRL+Fn+Shift+PgUp because of my weird laptop keyboard layout..

P
Plornt Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
P
Originally Posted By: Casteele
I like this idea.. For me, I'm used to the old DOS method of simply hitting CTRL+C to interrupt any command/batch file/script, which is a lot easier to hit on my laptop than what I currently have to do: CTRL+Fn+Shift+PgUp because of my weird laptop keyboard layout..

Whilst I like the idea windows uses CTRL + C to copy text everywhere apart from the command line. Doing that on a GUI application may confuse people and or cause some weird edge case issues (by that i mean perfectly timing a copy with a scripts while loop).

C
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
C
My apologies for not being more clear.. I support the idea of there being an alternate break method, not specifically CTRL+C -- I was using that more as an illustration of something "simple and on just about every modern keyboard". As far as suggesting what key combo to use.. I like the idea of CTRL+END or maybe CTRL+BACKSPACE, perhaps?

Also, to the OP and others, another (temporary) solution has occurred to me.. if you can use software like AutoIt or AutoHotKey to "remap" your keyboard/keystrokes, you can pretty much map anything you like to send a CTRL+BREAK (which is what I'm doing now after thinking about it.. :-D)

Link Copied to Clipboard