mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
C
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
Version: 7.38

I'm connected to freenode on an SSL connection. When I open a web page, a video or something else the connection with freenode disconnects with the error message:

* [10101] Host disconnected

This doesn't happen every time, but appears to happen when there is 'spike' in CPU usage from other applications (like Firefox/flash/etc).

This only effects freenode. Other SSL connections are not disconnected.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Can you reproduce on a clean mIRC with simply one SSL connection to freenode?

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
C
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
Originally Posted By: Wims
Can you reproduce on a clean mIRC with simply one SSL connection to freenode?

Might take a little while. Will get to work on it.

C
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
I can reproduce.

Steps:
1) Download and install mIRC.
2) Close your browser, clearing history/cookies/cache/etc.
3) Connect to freenode: /server -m chat.freenode.net:+7000
4) Join around 50 random channels. [Note 1, 2]
5) Do /timer1 4 1 /amsg test or something else to get yourself flooded off the network via excess flood.
6) Go to imgur.com and open up as many images as you can.
7) During the reconnection or immediately after, mIRC will disconnect with [10101] Host disconnected

If that didn't work:
8) Load imgur.com, closing all other tabs.
9) Clear your cookies/history/cache/etc.
10) Open as many images as you can at once.
11) At some point, mIRC should disconnect with [10101] Host disconnected. You may need to make mIRC the active application before it does.

mIRC won't disconnect if you use a non-ssl port.

Note 1: I say ~50 because that is how many channels I idle in. This will still work/disconnect even if you are in 1 channel.
Note 2: I recommend doing //join ## $+ $rand(0,9) $+ $rand(0,9) $+ $rand(0,9) $+ $rand(0,9) $+ $rand(0,9) to join channels without anyone else in them.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for your bug report. I have not been able to reproduce this issue yet. I followed your steps (running under Windows 7) and at step 6 I opened Firefox at imgur.com and opened 30 separate imgur.com images (Firefox is taking a long time to load them all and is still loading after five minutes...). mIRC was flooded off Freenode (after using /amsg) and reconnected without any issues. I tried flooding myself off a few more times and mIRC reconnected every time.

Have you experienced this issue before with previous versions of mIRC?

Are you running any other applications in the background, such as anti-virus or security software?

If you restart your computer and try again, do you see the same issue?

The only reason you would see this message, that I can think of, is that there is a Windows/Winsock memory/socket/port resource issue. For example, Task Manager and TCPView are showing me that with 30 imgur.com image windows open, Firefox is using almost 1 Gigabyte of memory and 400 socket connections. It is difficult to say what kind of effect this would have on other applications that are trying to make persistent internet connections.

C
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
Originally Posted By: Khaled

Have you experienced this issue before with previous versions of mIRC?

Are you running any other applications in the background, such as anti-virus or security software?

If you restart your computer and try again, do you see the same issue?

I've only noticed it on the past 2 (7.36 and 7.34).

My antivirus is avira. Task Manager reports the following things are running: avgnt.exe, avgyard.exe, avira.OE.ServiceHost.exe, Avira.OE.Systray.exe, avshadow.exe, sched.exe. Not sure if this would cause any problems or not.

If I restart my computer, I can reproduce it.

Let me know if I should run anything else to test it.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Unfortunately tracking down issues like this one, which are rarely reported, can be difficult because there are so many points of failure.

In the past, issues similar to this have been caused by anti-virus/security/firewall software, specific brands of router, router configuration, internet providers monitoring your network connections and disconnecting if they suspect them to be due to virus/trojan/bot related or if they suspect the IRC server you are connecting to, and so on.

You would need to eliminate potential causes one by one. For example, if you disable/uninstall your anti-virus/security/firewall, does that resolve the issue? How about restarting your router? Or resetting your router configuration?

It is very odd that this issue would affect only one specific IRC network and none of the others.

Link Copied to Clipboard