mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
P
pball Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
P
I just went to connect to a favorite chan that is on a server that isn't connected to yet and then I remembered that was a horrible idea. If you select a favorite that isn't on the current server mIRC disconnects you connects to the server the favorite is on.

Could mIRC check if the server the favorite is linked to is currently connected and join the chan on that server or open a new server window and connect/join there. Or at least give an option to disconnect and reconnect to a different server or open a new server window.

http://scripting.pball.win
My personal site with some scripts I've released.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The reason the current behaviour is in place is that when multi-server support was added, I was concerned that making multiple status windows open by default would confuse new users.

For power users, it is possible to use the Control and Shift keys to change how a channel is joined when using the favorites dialog/menu. The Control key will ignore the network settings of the channel and will join the channel on the active status window. The Shift key will open a new a status window. That said, using combinations of keys to change behaviours is not intuitive and implementing default behaviours that make sense for the majority of users would be better.

I can change the behaviour so that a new status window is opened, if the current status window is not on the same network as the channel being joined.

This brings up a related issue: let's say you have defined ten networks for a channel. If you join the channel through the favorites dialog/menu, should mIRC connect to and join the channel on all ten networks? Every time? And if you have several status windows open connected to the same network, should the channel be joined on all of the status windows? Or just one? Currently, it only connects to and joins the channel on the first defined network.

I could change this so that if you have defined multiple networks for a channel and you join the channel through the favorites dialog/menu, it will connect to and join the channel on all defined networks. If status windows exist that match those networks, the channels are joined on those status windows. If non-connected status windows exist, they are re-used to avoid opening extra status windows. Otherwise, new status windows are opened as necessary. The Control key can still be used to join the channel only on the current status window. The Shift key can be used to force a new status window to be opened, even if an existing status window for that network exists.

P
pball Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
P
I like where you are going and just have a little bit to add. If a favorite chan has one server defined and that server is connected, then just join the chan on the server. If the chan has multiple servers defined or the one defined server isn't connected or a combination of those, show a prompt like what irc links in browsers do. Perhaps have the option to join on current server, join on all connected that is defined in the favorite, or connect to all and open new connections for any unconnected servers.

As for if you have two of the same server open perhaps a popup could say connect to current/first server A or both server A & B. Though I don't know how many people join the same server multiple times usually.

I'll also throw out I personally don't use favorites for auto join and have a custom script for that. Favorites are handy for those chans I join now and then.

http://scripting.pball.win
My personal site with some scripts I've released.

Link Copied to Clipboard