Print Thread
#2442 18/12/02 06:26 PM
T
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
T
hi there !
first of all dont kill me cause iam a total noob to irc ! But please tell me how is it possible to get an irc channel work 24/7 without having to keep the bot program open all the time. I heard of a service that lets you get such a channel but you must use theire bot. Is there another way to have an online channel (like using a mysql database or something ?)

confused

thx in advance
cya

#2443 18/12/02 06:37 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Channels are only active when someone is in them. Some IRC servers have a bot that will stay in the channel 24/7, others have bots which keep settings for channels and set them when the first person joins. Usually typing "/msg nickserv help" will give you information about the services available on the network.

#2444 18/12/02 06:45 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Of course that would depend on the network, as some don't support nickserv/chanserv. You might be better off looking at either the network's website or seeing what info you can get from the help channels. I doubt any of them would just 'give' you a bot, although I could be wrong. Probably the only other way of doing this is via a shell account. As far as I'm aware, it's difficult to get one for free, and those that are free won't let you use it for IRC bots.
If you are on a network that has chanserv, you could register your channel so that you are the founder. If this is the case, type /msg chanserv help smile

Last edited by Poppy; 18/12/02 06:48 PM.

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
#2445 18/12/02 07:27 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
One IRCd in particular allows you to have a channel holder in your room which is configurable by the founder. ConferenceRoom IRCd has a more configureable one but is not user manageable. It has to be put in my an administrator. Though this one can run independently of Services. Most other channel holders are Services based I think.

#2446 21/12/02 10:56 PM
D
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
D
Some services (my network that having) having ChanGuard. CahnServ stay on channel. If is channel empty 24 h chanserv leave the channel and come back when somebody come to channel.

--
http://www.globirc.net
irc.globirc.net
#2447 22/12/02 05:33 AM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
what a waste to have a services bot sit there in an empty room ...... wouldnt that depreciate the services ability ro run efficiantly? ....... it like puttin on a lightbulb ina closet with the door shut an no ones home ...... why worry if no ones there to have it there? ...... it all goes back to the tree falling in the woods .... if no ones there to hear it does it still make a sound??? confused

D3m0nnet.com
#2448 22/12/02 12:59 PM
T
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
T
Well i used an account @ quakenet and registered for their "L" service bot which keeps my channel open. So if i want to have a bot with more features i just send it into the channel with another instance of mirc.

Thx for the replies cya ! grin

Link Copied to Clipboard