mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
I found out that if I have the two same mirc.exe running with the following configuration:

#1: connected to servers
#2: not connected to any server + remote off
Both of them have the 'show identd requests' option set.

And if I get #1 to disconnect and reconnect on a lot of connections at the same time (also happens with the on start event if I'm using some /server -m command, but it doesn't happen if I just connect to one server for example)

I get the Identd request in #2, and the IP matches the ones from where #1 is connecting to.
I doubt it's a problem with mIRC but it can't really be anything else imo confused
I have it on video (#1 is on the left) here
It's not clear on the video, but of course, if I check the status windows on #1, they do not have the appropriate Identd requests.

Last edited by Wims; 30/12/13 03:57 AM.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
That sounds about right. When you run multiple copies of mIRC, only one of them can act as an identd server at any one time. If you have enabled the "enable only when connecting" option, both mIRC's will compete to gain control of the identd port to wait for an incoming identd connection. At the same time, the IRC servers you are connecting to will attempt to connect to the identd server on your computer. Which IRC server connects first depends on how quickly an IRC server performs the identd check. So with multiple clients running, it is quite possible for an IRC server to connect to the wrong identd server.

W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
Right, I didn't think about it that way, thanks!

Edit: what you describe is most likely what is happening here, however I do not have the 'enable only when connecting' option set, so from what you are saying, #2 should not be listening the identd port (it's never connecting), so there might still be an issue frown

Note: I use port 113 which is not forwarded, it is done by upnp.

Last edited by Wims; 30/12/13 01:37 PM.

Babel fish
Babel fish
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Khaled's response still makes sense. Both mIRC clients have an open identd port, usually port 113. Therefore, both clients will attempt to accept any connections on the open 113 port they are listening for. I tried to reproduce this, but it does not happen on my end (v7.32, Win7-64bit).

If you are connecting to multiple servers via #1, and #2 is idling, doing nothing, then perhaps it's the strain you are putting on #1 that is allowing #2 to act quicker and take precedence when replying to the identd requests from #1.

-Zmodem
W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
I got confused by his reply.
Quote:
If you have enabled the "enable only when connecting" option, both mIRC's will compete to gain control of the identd port to wait for an incoming identd connection.
Indeed if I enable that option on both, #2 won't listen for identd queries.

Link Copied to Clipboard