Print Thread
#242793 03/09/13 10:04 AM
K
kafeix Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
K
All right, so I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseum on these forums, but I think a lot of users who enjoy more creative projects would agree that an expanded color palette would be great.

I've read some of the older topics on the subject, and I saw one that had what appeared to be a promising proposal on the subject. The idea was to assign values to the color palette for indexes 16-98, which was collaborated by a few users. It culminated with this idea:

Originally Posted By: "Doomstars"
00-15 should be legacy. These numbers are already mentioned in the EGA Color Table.
Ignore the numbering scheme for the sixteen colours in the graphic.

16-63 should be the other 48 colours in the EGA colour table.
There is no need for redundancy in having the first 16 colours twice.

64-75 should be for shades of gray.
Since 000000 (black), 555555 (dark gray), AAAAAA (light gray), and FFFFFF (white) are already included in those 64 colours above, that leaves 12 shades of gray in 4-bit grayscale.
111111 ... 444444, 666666 ... 999999, BBBBBB ... EEEEEE

76-95 should be for local customizable colours.
Of course, some people may use them remotely, but oh well.
I do agree, 20 seems like a good number.

96-98 should be reserved, otherwise more local customizable colours.

99 should be for transparency.

This seems like a wonderful compromise on the subject using what mIRC can already interpret with no backwards-compatibility issues. So I'm wondering why the discussion just stopped out of the blue. It seemed to me like a really great idea, and one worth exploring.

I'm posting this in an attempt to revive discussion on the subject, and maybe gain some support for the implementation of this idea.

Last edited by kafeix; 03/09/13 10:07 AM.
kafeix #242804 03/09/13 11:46 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It and the many other topics on it all stopped because they all result in the same discussion... people want something, they provide possible options, and there it ends. Khaled is well aware (I'm assuming here, but it's extremely likely) that people are interested in more colors. He most likely has some ideas of his own as well as the ideas that have been mentioned in all of the many threads on the topic. When or if he decides to add more colors, he has basically all he needs to do so. More discussion on our part won't really make any difference unless we can come up with a new idea that hasn't already been discussed that might offer a new and interesting way of doing it for Khaled to check out.

Note that I'm not saying there should be no further discussion. I'm just saying that this is why those topics have all stopped after a fairly short period of discussion. There just really isn't anything else to discuss.

As a note, if you are one who prefers more creative projects (i.e. scripts), you can consider making your own channel/query display that does allow for all of those colors by using picture windows. Anyone with the script could use and display as many colors as you want. It is a lot of work to handle everything properly, but it's certainly doable.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Riamus2 #242805 04/09/13 12:31 AM
K
kafeix Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
K
Well, while that's an interesting idea, I'm concerned about my ability to do it well, and about what sort of overhead it might create. I only casually dabble in scripting, and though I have a good understanding of the basics, I don't think I have the skill to pull that sort of project off.

Still, I do appreciate the suggestion, and it is nice to know that alternatives are available. I do hope Khaled puts some thought into adding more colors though, because there are a lot of people out there who have even less scripting ability than I do. I know he's a busy guy, and I don't expect anything of him, but it would be nice. smile

EDIT: Maybe a topic should be created and stickied, much like the one for emoticons? That way, Khaled knows it's something many people are interested in, and people don't have to make a bunch of new topics on the idea.

Last edited by kafeix; 04/09/13 12:34 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard