mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
B
BhaaL Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
B
I'm wondering if storing the IP for a certificate was a good idea after all. I upgraded to 7.32 a week ago, and since then I had the SSL notice every day for FreeNode and twice for Rizon - servers.ini lists 7 and 2 different servers with the same certificate each.
Compared to before, FreeNode only showed the certificate confirmation once (when I first connected, and never again after that), but Rizon was bugging me every few days. It feels more annoying this way, giving me at least one confirmation per mIRC start.
I hope this gets better over time (until I hit most of the servers), but I'm wondering if I'm the only one getting that behavior.
Maybe a hybrid approach would have been better - store a list of IPs per certificate hash, and don't bother if the hash is already known (as in the FreeNode case). For Rizon, theres at least two servers with different certificates, so people were bound to get the certificate info every now and then.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
This change was made in order to enable mIRC to detect when a server's certificate had changed and to warn you of that change. In order to know when a server's certificate has changed, every server's IP address needs to be stored along with the certificate. There is no hybrid combination that I can think of that provides a secure check against a changed certificate for a server. mIRC will ask you to confirm each and every certificate and IP combination (for invalid or self-signed certificates) that it comes across and will store that so that you will not need to confirm that particular combination again.

B
BhaaL Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
B
It looks like I finally hit most of the servers; 2 weeks in the situation got better with little to no confirmations at all.

Link Copied to Clipboard