Print Thread
M
mlansky Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
M
Hi,

I had been using irc for years until my computer crashed in 2010. I just downloaded mIRC again today and want to start using it. I have all my old irc ini files from version 6.35 and I want to copy them over and use them with the newest version of mIRC. My problem is it's not allowing me to do this on account of some administrative issues. Can someone please help me out or point me in the right direction so that I can bypass this issue and use all of my old mIRC ini files?

Sorry, I forgot to add in the message that I'm getting which is "Destination Folder Access Denied..You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy to this folder."

Thanks again for taking the time in reading my post. It is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

mlansky

Last edited by mlansky; 22/04/13 04:46 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You are probably trying to place them in Program Files, which is no longer used since WinVista. You need the mIRC directory under Application Data.

Type //run $mircdir in mIRC to open the dir that contains settings files.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
As 5618 said, you can either place your settings files into AppData or you can install mIRC to somewhere other than the Program Files folder if you prefer to keep all of the files in one place.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
M
mlansky Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
M
Originally Posted By: 5618
You are probably trying to place them in Program Files, which is no longer used since WinVista. You need the mIRC directory under Application Data.

Thank you for your reply, it is greatly appreciated! You are correct, I placed the new IRC in Program Files (x86). I'm not totally following your next step though. So I just need to move my new IRC folder to the 'Application Data' folder and then copying & pasting the old mIRC.ini file to the new mIRC.ini file?

Thanks again for the reply.

Kind regards,

mlansky

M
mlansky Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
M
Originally Posted By: Riamus2
As 5618 said, you can either place your settings files into AppData or you can install mIRC to somewhere other than the Program Files folder if you prefer to keep all of the files in one place.

Riamus2,

Thank you for your reply as well. Yes, I would like to keep all my files in one place. So I just need to re-download IRC and download it anywhere else except in the 'Program Files' folder? Is that correct? Or can I just move all the contents from the IRC folder to another folder so I don't have to uninstall and then re-download and install mIRC once again?

Very kind regards,

mlansky

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Not download, you should install it in any other folder then program files. smile as an example c:\mIRC

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You can just move the files to another location. You don't have to re-install. Just keep in mind that mIRC can't uninstall itself from Uninstall Programs if you move it. You can still manually remove the files, but it won't do it for you.

To keep everything together, place mIRC.ini into the same folder that mIRC.exe is located in and install somewhere other than Program Files. Also, make sure that wherever you install it, that you have full permission to read and write to that folder. Depending on your security settings, even something like C:\mIRC\ may not work well, though it normally will be fine there.

Invision Support
M
mlansky Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
M
Originally Posted By: 5618

So then I just copy & paste my old mIRC.ini file into that mIRC Application Data folder and then it should work with the newest mIRC? Also, do I need to copy & paste my old mIRC.ini file into the 'backup' folder as well?

Kind regards,

mlansky

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Putting it into the backup folder is up to you. You can place it into the AppData folder if you like and it will work there. It will also work if you place it into the same folder as mIRC.exe as long as you don't install to Program Files. If you install there, you'll want it in AppData.

Invision Support
M
mlansky Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
M
Originally Posted By: Riamus2
Putting it into the backup folder is up to you. You can place it into the AppData folder if you like and it will work there. It will also work if you place it into the same folder as mIRC.exe as long as you don't install to Program Files. If you install there, you'll want it in AppData.

Riamus2,

Thank you for the reply and sorry for the late reply on my part. I got it working! I just followed what you said and every thing is working now.

Just curious, what network(s)/channels do you hang out in on irc?

Thanks again for your help and everyone else as well that replied to my thread(s).

Sincerest regards,

mlansky

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I idle on Undernet and Irchighway.

Invision Support
M
mlansky Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
M
Hey guys,

I have another question regarding this topic. If I want to install the newest version of mIRC 7.32, where should I install it so that it will work properly? If I install it in Program Files like I did before, will it work the same as it is working for me right now?

Thanks again,

mlansky

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you are on XP or older, you can install it anywhere you like. If you are on Vista or newer, it's better to install it somewhere other than Program Files due to the default security permissions as mentioned previously. Of course, if you know how to adjust those settings, you can install it anywhere you like.

Invision Support
M
mlansky Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
M
Riamus2,

Thank you for your reply. I'm using Windows 7. So I should just install in anywhere other than in Program Files?

Kind regards,

mlansky

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
For the most part. It depends on what permissions you may have on specific folders. As long as you have full permissions for where you install it, you'll be fine.

Invision Support

Link Copied to Clipboard