mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
L
ltwally Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
L
While just about every web browser on the planet has moved to a multi-download window, mIRC still has a single transfer to a window.

Example:

This is fine if there is only a single transfer. But when the numbers start growing, this gets annoying.

Anyone know of a way to replace this with something more suitable to a number of simultaneous transfers? Hopefully without a complete MTS skin-job...

Thanks in advance.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
More than likely, you'd need a DLL designed to do it. I haven't heard of any that are already made, so you'd need to find someone to make one or make one yourself. Considering downloading (or uploading) large numbers of files is almost always illegal file sharing, I'm not really sure how high up on Khaled's list it might be. And small numbers of files simply aren't a problem with the current setup. I do agree that another method of showing file transfers could be useful, though.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
L
ltwally Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted By: Riamus2
More than likely, you'd need a DLL designed to do it. I haven't heard of any that are already made, so you'd need to find someone to make one or make one yourself.

Yeah. After searching the intertubes and finding nothing, I'd not be surprised if you were correct on that.

Quote:
Considering downloading (or uploading) large numbers of files is almost always illegal file sharing, I'm not really sure how high up on Khaled's list it might be. And small numbers of files simply aren't a problem with the current setup. I do agree that another method of showing file transfers could be useful, though.

The legality of file-sharing in general, and piracy in specific, is heavily dependent upon the country/region you live in. Legal issues aside, file transfers are a big part of the internet, and have long been a part of IRC. It's just plain embarrassing that after all this time mIRC's file-transfer window hasn't evolved to better handle multiple transfers.

mIRC is a very good IRC client. But it seems to have seriously stagnated in recent years. Even if the functionality of IRC hasn't greatly increased, there are plenty of areas in UI that could have been focused on.

T
TRT Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
T
A DLL? I guess you don't know the $get identifier.

http://www.mircscripts.org/comments.php?cid=2032

I'm curious about how a poll on these cries for modernization would actually end. I know quite a few people who are fine with mIRCs oldschool look.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Yes, you can make a dialog to display them, but I was thinking about hiding the actual windows so it appears that only the dialog is part of the display. Though now that I think about it, you probably can hide them. Also, a dialog is perhaps not the best option. Having a single window on your treebar or switchbar for downloads that you can click back and forth between would probably be a nicer way to handle it. Otherwise you have to keep calling the dialog when you want to see it or else leave it running, neither of which would be my preference. Either way, yes, you can make a dialog that will monitor DCC. Invision has this as well, though it really isn't that useful because of the things I mentioned.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
"The legality of file-sharing in general, and piracy in specific, is heavily dependent upon the country/region you live in. Legal issues aside, file transfers are a big part of the internet, and have long been a part of IRC. It's just plain embarrassing that after all this time mIRC's file-transfer window hasn't evolved to better handle multiple transfers."

And the primary function of mIRC since day one has been on communication between people, for a better level of global understanding. mIRC included the file transfer protocols because for DCC CHAT they were required. There are LOTS of other applications available for file transfers and often they are faster than mIRC. If that is the primary reason one uses mIRC (lots of file transfers at once) they should find something else to use, NOT waste time talking about re-designing the DCC in progress window display.

My 2 cents..

Help others! It makes the world a better place, Makes you feel good, and makes you Healthy!

Link Copied to Clipboard