mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Z
Zedrick Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
Z
I have a 27-inch Samsung S27B970 monitor on the 2560 x 1440 resolution.

When you first install mIRC it will set its own size in the middle of the screen with a wider width and height which is a rather nice size.

mIRC will soon automatically re-size itself to a smaller height and width and set itself in the top left of the screen.

I have tried save position which does not work and tried mIRC v6.35 and still does it.

I had a 17-inch standard LCD monitor which mIRC did not re-size itself with.

Windows 7

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Make sure you can reproduce this with all drivers up to date.
Then please provide some informations like:
-How is it happening? You're not doing anything, mirc is the active window and just resize itself?
-Can you reproduce this with another window/program?
-Could it be a script doing it? Type "/remote off" anywhere in mIRC to disable all your scripts, stop all your timers (by typing "/timer* off" anywhere too) and see if you can still reproduce.

Note that mIRC isn't set up to resize itself randomly, as far as I know, and that you are likely the problem here (you as in, not mIRC).

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Z
Zedrick Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
Z
I did remote off and timer off with a blank mIRC not connected to a network and no channels, and after a while mIRC re-sized itself to the top left.

I also tried having a compose new email window open with my email program, and that stayed the same.

All the drivers are up to date.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Do you by any chance have any monitor / video card software running?

Samsung monitors typically come with tools that can be installed alongside the driver to control the display features from Windows. A lot of the time this involves hijacking application windows and, well, there could be a bug in the software causing it to be resized.

Ditto for video card software like nvidia or ATI which typically have overlay / window management features baked into the drivers bundleware.

I would look at those as the culprits before mIRC.

I've seen mIRC forget its placement / size before when restarting the program, but I've never seen mIRC move/resize itself at some random point mid-execution. mIRC never resizes itself on its own, it doesn't have any need to do this, so the only other explanation would be a script. I assume you ruled that one out.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Z
Zedrick Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
Z
I do have the video driver installed for the Intel HD 4000 onboard video.

Installed through the motherboard CD - Sabertooth Z77, and then installed the newer one through Windows Update.

Installed the monitor driver itself from the monitor CD under update driver for the monitor in Device Manager. Windows Update didn't have a newer one.

Last edited by Zedrick; 18/02/13 09:13 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I remember someone reporting a similar issue some time ago and it turned out to be their video driver software. If mIRC is spontaneously being resized, that is the most likely cause (unless you are using scripts that are doing this).

Z
Zedrick Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
Z
I had a blank mIRC not connected to a network and no channels with remote off and timer off, and mIRC did re-size itself.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I think you mean "something resized mIRC". My guess is it's your video or monitor drivers / associated software.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Z
Zedrick Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
Z
I think I know what the problem is -

I am using the onboard displayport of the Sabertooth Z77 motherboard with the Intel HD 4000 graphics.

When you switch the monitor off, it will re-size mIRC and other things to the top left of the screen, all things re-size to the same height and width, it does not re-size it when you have it maximized.

Leaving the monitor on / standby without switching it off, it does not re-size it.

I tried it with the 1920 x 1080 resolution and still re-sized it.

Tried with HDMI and it did not re-size it, HDMI only goes to 1920 x 1080 on the Sabertooth.

Have only got displayport and HDMI on the Sabertooth.

I was reading that Windows 7 on displayport messes up your windows.

When you turn the monitor off in displayport, it makes the device disconnect / connect sound.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for letting us know, glad you were able to track it down.

Z
Zedrick Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
Z
It seems to be an issue with Windows 7 itself with apparently no fix for it.

Tried with both sets of drivers for the HD 4000 from the motherboard CD and the December 2012 latest drivers from Windows Update, and also didn't load the monitor driver.

D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D

Z
Zedrick Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
Z
Didn't work for me sorry, thank you.

D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
OK then, try this

First: Go to mIRC, size and position it as you want it. (Just the main mIRC window, not any of it's child windows)
Now click on the mIRC icon in the titlebar. In the menu that appears, select 'Position' > 'Save'

Next, copy the code below and paste it into the mIRC Scripts Editor (Press Alt+rr to open the editor) and press OK to save it.
Code:
on *:appactive:{
  if ($appactive) && ($window(-2).w !> 800) {
    sendkeys % {DOWN}{DOWN}{RIGHT}{ENTER}
  }
}
alias sendkeys var %a = $ticks | .comopen %a WScript.Shell | if (!$comerr) { .comclose %a $com(%a,SendKeys,3,bstr,$1-) }

Whenever mIRC is activated it will check that its width is not 800px or less and if it is, will reset itself to your saved size and position.
Note that I am assuming that Windows resizes it to 800x600. If that is not the case you can adjust the 800 in the script to suit. You can find the actual width of mIRC after resizing by typing //echo -a $window(-2).w (before you resize again obviously).

Z
Zedrick Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
Z
The script works.

When you install mIRC, it sets the width to 1920 from the //echo

I installed Windows 8 and does the same with DisplayPort, when you turn off the monitor, Windows disconnects it and changes the resolution to 1024x768, and changes back to 2560x1440 when you turn the monitor back on.

I have ordered a new graphics card to get off DisplayPort.

Link Copied to Clipboard