mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
B
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
B
I am trying to install mIRC through a batch files without desktop nor quick launch icons. It would be nice if i could get the list of command line arguments of the installer. I couldn't find any information on the FAQ or Help section.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Khaled gave one here recently: https://forums.mirc.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/239576/Re_Install_cmd_question#Post239576 but it would be handy to know them all.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The mIRC installer supports the standard NSIS installer shortcuts of /S (silent install) and /D=C:\Program Files\mIRC (install folder). It also supports /SHORTCUT /BACKUP /UPDATE /PORTABLE and /NOSHORTCUT /NOBACKUP /NOUPDATE /NOPORTABLE, which correspond to the installer options.

B
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
B
How do the /SHORTCUT or /NOSHORTCUT arguments work?
I don't want the desktop nor quick launch shortcuts but i do want the start menu shortcuts.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The /SHORCUT option is all or nothing currently. I will see if I can add support for specifying each shortcut type separately for the next version.

Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
Sorry for bringing up a thread from 9 years ago, but: can we get descriptions of what all these flags do? Most are not described in the official NSIS documentation.

In particular, I'd like to know:

1. What is /NODESKTOP for? (If it's supposed to avoid placing an icon on the desktop, then the flag is bugged because that happens regardless.)
2. What is /NOUPDATE?

The flags I use are as follows: /PORTABLE /BACKUP /NODESKTOP /D=D:\mIRC

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
These flags enable/disable the install options that you see in the installer.

/FULL/NOFULL - enables/disables the full install option
/SHORTCUT/NOSHORTCUT - enables/disables both the add desktop shortcut and add startmenu shortcut options
/DESKTOP/NODESKTOP - enables/disables the add desktop shortcut option
/STARTMENU/NOSTARTMENU - enables/disables the add startmenu shortcut option
/BACKUP/NOBACKUP - enables/disables the backup current files option
/UPDATE/NOUPDATE - enables/disables the automatically check for updates option
/PORTABLE/NOPORTABLE - enables/disables the run as portable option

Other flags that are part of the NSIS installer:
/D=PATH - specifies the install path
/S - performs a silent install with no dialogs

I just tested the /NODESKTOP option here and it worked correctly. No icon was created on the desktop.

Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
Thanks so much Khaled!

As for /NODESKTOP not working: turns out I had some old settings in my Chocolatey package install arguments (i.e. I initially installed mIRC via Chocolatey _without_ /NODESKTOP, and since I use choco feature enable -n useRememberedArgumentsForUpgrades, it essentially cached the previous flags). TL;DR -- problem was on my side.

Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
Sorry to bug you about this again Khaled, but another question:

Can you tell me what the actual behaviour will be if flags /S /NOBACKUP are used during install?

Specifically: I'm wanting to know what happens to pre-existing {channels,control,mirc,perform,servers,urls}.ini files in %APPDATA%\mIRC

Thank you!

Link Copied to Clipboard