mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
J
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
J
I noticed sometimes when I would change a font and click "Set as default" ... other channels wouldn't change to the font setting.

Now I know someone might point out maybe they're not set to change with default... but I tinkered with this for a bit. I made sure all windows were set to default, but if I changed the default font, I kept running into one or two windows not changing.

It's a minor thing but I am unsure how to pinpoint the problem more properly.

Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
That's because the option is actually misnamed. It's currently named:

"Set as default for channel windows"

When it should be named:

"Set as default for new channel windows"

The reason is that mIRC stores on a per-channel basis what font you select. Thus changing the default does not mean "change all of the currently-existing windows' font to the one I just picked", it means "change the default font used for any channel for which you haven't set a font or haven't joined before". It's been like this for years.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
That is correct, the "set as default" option changes the font for all windows of that type that are set to use the "default" font. If you have previously chosen a specific font for a window, it will not be changed in the above case since it is not set to use a default font. To make this window use a default font, you would need to open the font dialog for the window and set the "Use default" option.

J
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
J
Yes. I know this.

But for some reason it's acting like not all my windows are set on to default. It used to all change before, but now I end up with some stragglers.

Edit: I'm not the best at describing at times. Sorry. What I meant to explain is I have all my windows set to 'use default' but for some reason if I change the font and tell it to set as default, only about 80% of the windows of that type change for some reason.

Last edited by Jaillynian; 13/08/12 12:09 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I have not been able to reproduce this issue so far. If you copy mirc.exe and an empty mirc.ini to a new, empty folder and then run mirc.exe from there, are you able to reproduce the issue with a specific set of steps? For example, I am using the following script to create several query windows:

Code:
test {
  var %i = 0
  while (%i < 5) {
    var %name = test $+ %i
    query %name
    echo %name Hello Goodbye
    inc %i
  }
}

If you can describe a step by step method of reproducing the issue in a clean setup, using the query windows created by the above script, I will try to reproduce it here.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Looking at this, here is what I see.

• If a channel has never had a font set, it will take up the font that is set as default automatically. To test, create 2 channels you've never been in. Change the font in one of them and set it as the default for channel windows. Both channels will change.
  • If a channel has had a font set to it, then it will not change if you change the default font for channel windows. To make it change to the default font, you must go to it and select "use default font". To test, create a channel and set it to a specific font. Create 2 new channels that you haven't been to before and change the font in one to a different font and then set it to the default font for all channels. The two new channels will change, but the first channel will not. Go to the first channel and tell it to use the default font. It will then change. Now, go back to one of the new channels and select a different font and set it to the default font for all channels. All 3 channels will change now.

This seems like it's working the way it should. Which part are you experiencing the problem? Or is there some other scenario I haven't tested?

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
J
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
J
Well I have all fonts set to default... as in if I change a font in one window it should change in the other, no? I know status/channels/chats are all separate in their settings... but sometimes if I change the channel font and tell it to set as default.. there's like one or two channels that don't change.

I then go and tell them to 'use default' ... which should fix the issue.. but then later on if I change fonts.. a completely diff channel that DID change fonts properly before gets left out.

It's a bit of a mystery to me. Only happens in 7.25 though. I tinkered with 7.22 and fonts all changed properly.

(Just a note: I change font sizes cause sometimes I'm not sitting the same distance from my computer. And it's not just font size that doesn't change. Sometimes it's the entire font since I've been trying to find a good font to use with mirc.)

Last edited by Jaillynian; 26/08/12 04:03 AM.
J
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
J
I figured out the issue. It's a simple one.

When I go to change fonts and set as default.. it'll set the font as default, yes, but it also sets the font as that channel's specific font at the same time.

So, let's say I change the default font using another channel, it sets that channel to having a specific font, while changing the default font. This results in the fist channel I did the font change in to not update with the change.

To fix this all I had to do was select set as default font AS WELL AS use default. it doesn't set the specific channel font if I do it that way.

Figured it out on my own, but if it's not meant to work like that.. well, there you go. smile I just know in previous versions I didn't have to click 'use default' as well.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
It is meant to work like that.

"Set as default" does not apply the default, it merely registers it as default for future use (excluding the current window you just set it for).

"Use default" is the switch to apply the current default to all existing windows.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
J
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
J
Nooo.. if I set as default, all windows change. not use default.

use default changes current window, not all.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Set as default should change all windows that have never had a font set on them. Use default makes the window use the default font regardless if a font had already been set. This was what I was mentioning earlier. If you've changed the font in a window at any time in the past, you will need to use both.

Invision Support
J
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
J
What I'm saying is, when I go 'set as default', it sets default font, but say I'm in the channel #WeLurkLikeMad .. it would set the font for that specifically too, unless I also check use default.

Before, I didn't need to check both.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Right. If you've previously changed the font in that channel, then you have to check Use Default. If you've never changed the font in that channel, it should change without using Use Default. At least, that's how it was working when I tested last time and gave you the results. I don't have time right now to verify that it's still doing the same thing.

Invision Support
J
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
J
I don't think you're quite reading what I've typed...

I'm saying when I change the font, I have to check both 'set as default' and 'use default' or else it adds an entry for the window in the .ini file.

Older versions of mIRC did not handle in this way, since I am used to font swapping a lot. (I change font size depending on how far from my PC I am at the time, so...)

Maybe it's just a change but I know for a fact it wasn't that way before hand. I've used mIRC for 13 years now, so I'm kind of used to how it works and changes between versions...

Edit: I tested between 7.22... 7.25 and 7.27 (current). 7.22 I don't have to check both boxes, but .25 and .27 I do.

Last edited by Jaillynian; 22/11/12 02:20 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
EDIT: I think I see what you are referring to now, and it did change. If you are on a channel and set the default font for all channels, it changes the current channel's font as it should, but it does not set the current channel as Use Default. That means that if you later change the default font in another channel, it doesn't change the original channel because that channel now has a font set rather than using the default. After testing on 6.35, I see that it has changed since then. I would agree that it would make more sense to have the channel set to Use Default automatically if you set the font as the default for all channels. After all, you're changing the font for the current channel and you want that font to be the default font, so it should be rare that you don't want the current channel to be set to Use Default at the same time. So yes, I see the change and I agree that it should be reverted back to how it worked previously.

I'm leaving what I wrote below before noticing this one issue just so people can see how the two checkboxes work in case anyone ever has a question about that. You can ignore it regarding this specific issue because it's unrelated now that I found what you were meaning.

-----

Actually, you're not seeing what I'm saying. You just stated that you change the font often. That means that there is already a font set for the window. When that is the case, yes, you have to use Use Default if you want the current window to always use the default setting and not just maintain it's current setting regardless of changing the default font from another window. If the font was never set for that window, then you wouldn't need both. Go try the examples I provided originally. Make sure that you are joining channels you have never been in (make up random channel names) and follow the steps I provided. See what happens. I did test that on 7.25 before writing it up, so I know that was how it was working.

Btw, I just tested the same thing on 6.35 and see the same behavior. Here it is again:

Join 2 channels you haven't ever been in. I chose #random1 and #random2 just because I knew there was no chance I was ever in those channels. They picked up the default channel font, which in this case was FixedSys 9. I then changed the font in #random1 without checking either default box. Only #random1's font changed. I then went to #random2 and changed the font to something other than #random1's font or the original channel font and set it as the channel default. #random2's font changed, but #random1's font did not change because that channel was not set to use the default font. I then went to #random1 and checked the use default font and it now has the same font as #random2. I then go back to #random2 and change the font and both #random1 and #random2 change because #random1 is now set to use the default font. I then go back to #random1 and change the font and set it as default channel font (you can check the default font as well, but it isn't necessary for what I'm showing right now). The font changed for #random1 but not #random2. This is because #random2 was never set to use the default font, so it does not change.

In short, this is doing the same thing in 6.35 and 7.25 (I haven't tried it in 7.27, but it's probably the same). If you have previously set a font for the channel, that channel's font will NOT change if you change another channel's font unless the channel has the Use Default checked.

Note that the Use Default means that it will use whatever the channel default is and will always update to that. Basically, what it does is clears the channel's font setting so that the channel acts just like if you join a brand new channel that you've never been in before. If you've never been to the channel before, it will use the channel default font. If you check Use Default, it will also use the channel default font. However, if you have previously set a font and are not using Use Default, then it will maintain the font that was set no matter what you change the default font to in some other channel. I didn't check mIRC.ini to see what entries are made, but it makes sense that it would remove/not set the font entry for the channel if you check Use Default because that would make the channel act like a brand new channel without having to maintain an ini entry for that checkbox.

This behavior makes sense. For example, let's say I want all channels by default to use whichever font I choose at the time like what you're doing. However, there is one channel that I always want to be a specific font. This lets me change the default channel font as often as I like without affecting the one channel that I don't want to change. As long as I never click on the Use Default box for that one channel, its font won't change when I change the default channel font in another channel.

Last edited by Riamus2; 22/11/12 04:13 PM.

Invision Support
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for looking into this. I have tested this again and it does look like it is working as intended in the latest version of mIRC.

I can only assume that someone emailed me some time ago to report the previous behaviour as a bug because they were trying to set a specific window font while at the same time setting it as the default font. Since "Set as default" and "Use default" are meant to be separate settings, that does make sense. However, from a usability point of view, I can see what you are saying.

I could change it so that the "Use default" option is automatically checked if the "Set as default" option is manually checked. Would that resolve the issue?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I think it would be fine that way, but I'll leave it for the OP to respond since I really don't change fonts very often, so don't really have a problem with this myself.

Invision Support
J
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
J
Oh. Yes, that would be superb.

Link Copied to Clipboard