Print Thread
#239279 08/10/12 02:51 AM
HorseC Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
a user asked about beep today..
his info 7.25 cfd7965dd048060f4dfbd49cf5a8a16b

so i tested.. just need clarification about this..

when at an input line. ie input box for a channel or edit box..

if you backspace beyond the start of the box a beep sounds..

I tried turning sounds off in otions, and also saying /sound off (I am on public beta) and it still beeps..
howver with /sounds off /beep (by itself) does not make a sound, and with sounds on , it does...

Is this normal behavior, or is there some way to stop the beep (for backspace in edit box beyond start of the box)

thanks for answer, i will pass it on to the user in our #mirc channel...

Last edited by HorseC; 08/10/12 03:02 AM.

Help others! It makes the world a better place, Makes you feel good, and makes you Healthy!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The Windows rich editbox beeps when you use key combinations in certain situations. Unfortunately there are no rich editbox options to prevent these beeps. That said, it might be possible to make mIRC intercept common key combinations that cause the rich editbox to beep to prevent the editbox from seeing them. I will need to look into this to see if I can implement it without affecting standard rich editbox behaviour.

HorseC Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
K, thank you for your response. I kind of assumed this was the case, but when I post this question for the user in our channel on DALnet, I gave him the url to watch. So they will also get this answer. Appreciate the effort involve in seeing if this could be resolve in a future release.

Help others! It makes the world a better place, Makes you feel good, and makes you Healthy!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I spent some time looking into this to see if I could make mIRC intercept rich editbox events in specific contexts to prevent the editbox from beeping. The method involved guessing at and reproducing the internal rich editbox contexts (some of which are a little murky) that trigger beeps and customizing the way mIRC handles editbox input to intercept them. Unfortunately, this approach has the potential to affect editbox behaviour and would likely cause more issues than it resolves. So unless I can find a simpler, clearer method, it does not look like this will be possible.

HorseC Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
Originally Posted By: Khaled
Unfortunately, this approach has the potential to affect editbox behaviour and would likely cause more issues than it resolves. So unless I can find a simpler, clearer method, it does not look like this will be possible.

That being the case, I think living with the beeps is MUCH better.. Thanks for taking the time to investigate this.

U
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
U
This reminds me of Windows NotePad (at least years ago) annoyingly firing the Exclamation sound upon attempts to move beyond the beginning and end of a document. Since setting that sound to none caused Windows to fire the Default Beep instead, my ultimate solution was to set Exclamation to a silent sound clip. Perhaps a similar remedy could be applied, here.

Irgendwo über dem Regenbogen

Link Copied to Clipboard