mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
P
Prizm Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
Why doesn't mIRC have a splash screen yet? Yes, I know you can script it, but it would be nice if it had a built in splash screen that can be turned on and off via the "Options" dialog.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Because mIRC starts straight away and is a small programme. Splash screens are only for programmes that are large or start slowly.

P
Prizm Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
That's not totally true. A splash screen doesn't have to be used only with a program that's large or takes a while to load. For example, I have an old version of Paint Shop Pro from the caveman days, and it's small and loads as quickly as mIRC and it has a splash screen option. So, I wouldn't say a splash screen only needs to be used with a program that takes time to load. In my opinion, I think a splash screen would fit mIRC well.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Maybe it's just me, but I was under the assumption that 99% of people find splash screens annoying. Anytime I wrote a splash screen in any programs I've made I got hundreds of complaints to have it removed.

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
mIRC actually does have a "splash screen" so to speak.

The very first time you run it after an installation, and up pops the "about mIRC" screen, well, that is, so to speak, a splash screen :P.

Honestly, why bother with one. Just script your own if you really want one.

--------
mIRC - fun for all the family (except grandma and grandpa)
T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
True, I don't see any real meaning or purpose of a splash screen.

Splash screens also slows down the loading of programmes.

trenzterra
AustNet #trenzterra and #w
Head Scripter @ http://trenzterra.uni.cc
R
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
R
Splash screens are meant for programmes that take a lot of time to load. By loading and showing the splash screen first, which can be done rather quickly because it's only a small window, users know something is happening and they won't think "Why isn't PSP loading? Ah well, I'll just try to start it again.", thus loading the program multiple times before the first copy actually shows up.

As pointed out, mIRC loads so fast it doesn't need a splash screen. (just as very old PSP versions wouldn't need it anymore on fast pc's)

If someone came up with a really cool splash screen though, I wouldn't mind seeing it a few times before turning it off smile.

$input(Me like stars, You too?)
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
That's not totally true. A splash screen doesn't have to be used only with a program that's large or takes a while to load.

I didn't say it did have to, I am just saying that it is the done thing only to include one with large programmes. mIRC starts like a bullet, perhaps as fast as any splash would display. Whereas a programme like Klient that takes a little longer has a splash screen with a tacky looking progress bar which I think is more "all show" than anything else. Some scripters like to include a splash screen to make their script look l337. Some even include a progress bar which resembles absolutely nothing and the whole process achieves one thing - it slows mIRC down.

A splash screen is handy for apps like Photoshop that load many modules during the boot process. Bear in mind the difference between mIRC and Photoshop. Like say around the 15MB mark.

Neophyte: The "About" dialogue in mIRC is not a splash screen as it appears only after mIRC starts and not before.

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
"The very first time you run it after an installation, and up pops the "about mIRC" screen, well, that is, so to speak, a splash screen :P"

That's why reading a post properly helps smile

--------
mIRC - fun for all the family (except grandma and grandpa)
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Looks like a splash screen to me.

(how many times does the word 'register' appear above? blush)

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Six >:D

-KingTomato
S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
What's new in mIRC6.04 beta5 then?

D
Babel fish
Babel fish
D
The picture is an obvious fake :tongue:

-chris

C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
THE point of a splash screen is so that a program doesn't violate "Visibility of System Status" - an app should go to painstaking lengths to avoid looking like its doing nothing when its doing something rather important, thereby annoying the hell out of the impatient user. A splash screen for mIRC isn't needed, but if mIRC supported something like user profiles, etc I could see a reason for it. Now, however, as everyone mentioned, its kinda inappropriate to have - so long as mIRC doesn't bloat up, it will remain that way.

Link Copied to Clipboard