#237674 24/05/12 07:38 PM
N
Ninko Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
N
Hi there,

I've just noticed recently that I'm no longer seeing the 'Ping? Pong!' event. I haven't changed any settings or anything recently.

Any ideas whats happened?

I'm connected to DALnet and using mIRC 7.22

Thanks

Ninko

Ninko #237676 24/05/12 09:31 PM
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
You may have a script that does that. But normally you can enable that event from 'mIRC Options -> IRC -> Options' under the 'Other' box there is a checkbox named 'Hide ping? pong! event', tick it if it's not ticked already.
You can access mIRC Options by pressing ALT+O.

Nothing...
Masoud #237679 25/05/12 12:21 AM
N
Ninko Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
N
Hi Masoud,

I like to see the ping pong event, which is why I have the hide ping pong option unticked.

I've also been getting disconnected more then normal too, I'm not sure whats changed.

Ninko

Ninko #237680 25/05/12 12:50 AM
P
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
P
The Ping? Pong! event you see is the IRC server pinging your client, and your client responding.

That said, IRC servers only ping you if your client hasn't done anything for a couple minutes or so.

So as Masoud hinted, the likely cause is a script that's issuing commands to the server frequently enough that the server sees no need to ping your client. (That, or you're chatting a lot -- each line of chat you send counts as a command, too.)

If you want to figure out what's being sent that's stopping the IRC server pings, type /debug -pt @debug to open a "sniffer" window. You can watch everything the server sends to mIRC, and everything mIRC sends to the server, in that window, including any hidden stuff your scripts don't normally display in any other window.

P.S. If you're being disconnected a lot, it's also possible the IRC server just isn't pinging you. I think that with IRC servers, pings have a lower priority than other types of events. So a server that's under attack or otherwise extremely busy might omit enough pings to mistakenly think you've timed out. In any case, if you don't see anything in your debug window that explains why you aren't seeing pingpongs, try a different server on another network. If you're successfully pinged there while idling, then the problem is the other server.

N
Ninko Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
N
Thanks for the info pishposh.

Is it possible to ping the server yourself, that way you could have a script to help keep you connected?

Ninko

Ninko #237689 25/05/12 05:53 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I dont think that will help you stay connected, try connect to the server on a new port. default is 6667, but many servers suport more ports, look in mirc at the server and see what other ports you can use, and you can also try connect to the server IP instead of the address to the server.

to ping the server:
Code:
on *:start: {
 .timerping1 0 20 ping YOUR_SERVER
}

replace your_server with the address to the server you connect to. This goes in to your remote. ALT+R in mirc.

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
sparta #237696 25/05/12 10:00 PM
N
Ninko Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
N
Hi sparta,

Thanks for your reply, I'll try some of those tips.

In the meantime, I've just tried pinging the server and I don't appear to get a response back. Is that normal?

Ninko

Ninko #237697 25/05/12 10:10 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
/raw ping sometext

Link Copied to Clipboard