mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
P
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
This is a rather trivial thing, but when sending a /notice, the text appears in your window as follows:

-> -RecipientNick- Your notice text here

That line, however, appears with your default text color, rather than with the "Notice text" color, which is what you'd assume it should properly appear with -- since it represents an [outgoing] notice.

So I'm calling this a suggestion. smile

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
I dont know, I think it's more of a bug since mirc knows it's a notice and not coloring it properly. Either way, it should use the right color scheme

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
It uses the "Own text" colour from the colours dialog (Alt+K), not the default text colour.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
True. And this was brought up a long time ago as well. I still think that notices really should use the notice color instead of your "own text" color. There is a valid reason for both options, though. It really depends on a person's preference. I rarely use notices, so it doesn't really bother me, but I see no reason why it should function differently than actions. If /me doesn't use "own text", then why should "/notice"? They're both text that you are sending.

Anyhow, for those who want it to be the notice color, it isn't too hard to script that and make it use the notice color instead. I think it should be built-in that way, but at least you do have an option.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
/me does use Own Text, but only if Own Text is different to Normal Text.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Ok, but /notice doesn't follow that same format. Why not? My point was that if it works one way for /me, why does it work another way for /notice? I did forget about the difference with /me depending on your Own Text vs Normal Text colors, but it's still the same point either way. If having both colors the same would make /notice use the color for notices the same way it works for /me, then I think people wouldn't complain.

Invision Support
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Well then, perhaps an option inside the options to use "own text" or "notice text" when you /notice people. That's the simplest way to "fix" this

P
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
Based on the information that's been presented here (thanks for the additional details, everyone), I now find myself agreeing that the correct behavior should be having outgoing notices appear in "Notice text" color if $color(own) == $color(normal). Otherwise, only if $color(own) != $color(normal) should they appear in "Own text" color.

Then again, because the purpose of "Own text" is to visually distinguish one's chat from others' chat, and because /notices are by definition not chat, it could be argued that outgoing notices should always appear in "Notice text" color, just as outgoing CTCPs (more "non-chat") also always appear in "Ctcp text" color. (Another argument: because of their "-> -Nick- text here" formatting, outgoing notices can never be mistaken for someone else's chat to begin with.)

So now I'm indecisive. smile All I'm sure about is that outgoing /notices always appearing in "Own text" color seems wrong.

For now, I've added this to my script:

Code:
alias notice {
  if (!$server) echo -i2lbfrca [ $+ [ $iif($active == Status Window,e) ] ] Info * /notice: not connected to server
  elseif (!$ctrlenter) {
    if ($0 > 1) echo -i2tlbfmrca [ $+ [ $iif($target == Status Window,e) ] ] $iif($color(own) == $color(normal),Notice,Own) -> $+(-,$1,-) $2-
    else echo -i2lbfrca [ $+ [ $iif($target == Status Window,e) ] ] Info * /notice: insufficient parameters
    /.notice $1 $$2-
  }
}

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Yeah, I had that same argument very fast with myself when I posted. I believe letting us choose how we want it to show up would be great. I just opened up my mirc, and I have "notice text" a different color from "own text". my color scheme is Background = K15, own text = K1, Notice text K2. When I notice myself, I see it as "own text" color, which to me, since there's an option for notices, says that it's really not working right. Notice color should work on ALL notices, not just somebody else's. I don't think it's a bug tho, merely K's choice of coding, BUT, I think an option either in the options or simply change the way NOTICE works to follow your NOTICE COLOR would be good. That being said, I prefer the option (like many of us do) to choose how mirc should color the /notices. hence my previous post smile Hope that wasnt too circular lol

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
You can *choose* your own colour by scripting it, no? I don't think that's unreasonable in this case.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
K
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
K
You could always change the color with a script.

Script Here

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Sure it can be scripted, and it's easy to do so. But then again, so can all of those colors and we could get rid of the entire Alt-K dialog. I don't really think that's needed. What it really comes down to isn't how easy something is to do with scripting in this case, but whether or not mIRC should make things work the same way as other similar things or if it should just have everything done in random ways. Actions are handled one way, while notices are handled a different way. They should be handled the same way. It doesn't really matter which way that is, but it should be the same way. The same thing with anything else that is handled two different ways when they are basically the same kind of thing. If there's no benefit for doing things two ways instead of one standard way, then similar things should work the same way to avoid confusion.

Invision Support
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
sure it's scriptable and has been for years, but I still think it's a valid option/suggestion.

Link Copied to Clipboard