#236622 13/03/12 10:36 AM
G
Gab82 Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
G
Hello Everyone,

I found that, after renaming "mirc.exe" to another executable name - e.g. "example.exe" - the program no longer start.

I guess this is due to a self-check protection within mirc.exe itself.

There are some situations where it is convenient to rename the executable, to avoid that reporting tools (used in corporate environments) may report that you are using mirc.exe. for obvious reasons.

Other IRC programs allow renaming the executable, but since I paid my license for mirc, I would prefer to be able to rename and continue using the mirc.

Please let me know if you plan to allow us to rename the program.

Thanks

Rgds
Gab

Gab82 #236623 13/03/12 10:50 AM
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
As long as it starts with "mirc", it's fine.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Wims #236624 13/03/12 10:52 AM
G
Gab82 Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
G
Thanks, I did not notice. It is however a partial solution

Gab82 #236628 13/03/12 04:49 PM
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
It's the only solution. The flipside to your corporate evasion strategy is that corporate reporting tools need to know what is running on their systems, especially if it's malicious. You might have bought the license to the program, but they own the machine you're running it on, which makes them just as important a stakeholder as you. If they don't want you running that program on their machine, they should be allowed to know about it, for equally obvious reasons.

The issue with allowing renaming mIRC is that it makes it really easy for trojans/malware to repackage mIRC and sneak it onto someone's system. Believe it or not, this was and sometimes still is happening. The same double edged sword that you want to use to evade your corporate policies is what malicious virus writers want to use to evade detection on normal users' systems.

The other and more pertinent issue with forcing the mirc* prefix was that scripts used to repackage mIRC as myscript.exe, passing off the exe as their own original work. Not only is that an insult to the actual author of the program, it also violates the EULA which strictly prohibits the redistribution of the executable without permission. Disallowing this name change successfully cut down on script repackaging of the exe-- and if it still occurs now, it is a lot easier to detect and notify the script author about the license violation.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
argv0 #236689 19/03/12 04:55 AM
H
Babel fish
Babel fish
H
Accepted that you purchased a license, presumably to use on your home computer. That would make your employer's computer an additional installation. I'm not so sure that's permissible.

mIRC 7.51, 64-bit Win-7/SP1 Home Premium
IRC Operator irc.Prison.NET
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
It is permissible. mIRC's license is per user, not per machine. You can install mIRC on as many machines as you'd like provided you're the main user of those machines. In this scenario, this is likely the case.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
argv0 #236716 20/03/12 04:35 PM
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Originally Posted By: argv0
You can install mIRC on as many machines as you'd like provided you're the main user of those machines.

I thought it was limited to 3 machines per license.

http://zowb.net

/server -m irc.p2p-network.net -j #zomgwtfbbq
(ssl on port 6697 and 7000)

Link Copied to Clipboard