mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#235620 30/12/11 10:51 PM
M
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
M
Greetings all. New member to the forums.
I just wanted to take a moment to share some thoughts with everyone.

I've been using mIRC now for... well, nearly 16 years. I've always felt that IRC was something of the frontier. Back in the 90's, it was like the place to be. It was wild country with people of all backgrounds and interests from all over the world. I was just a young buck at the time, but I quickly found my "homes" within the channels and people of like mind as myself when I had trouble as a teenager being a part of anything. There were many other places and options (anyone remember Yahoo chat or AOL chatrooms?) but none of them could compare to the world I found within IRC.

I made my home on EFnet, a place I still reside to this day. While many of my friends have moved on, some still remain in one of our old channels. I remember having thousands of options for scripts (I used Leopard mostly towards the end of the 90s. Now I just use plain mIRC) and about 50 megs worth of sound files I would share with friends so we could use the sound command and everyone would hear it. We spent hours every day just talking to people.

A few years later on a different server, I met met the person who I am now married to. We met in the less-than-magical land of IRC. I often wonder how many others share this in common with me.

Truth be told, IRC has played a major part in my life and shaped it to what it is today. As silly as I'm sure that would seem to most people, to some here I'm sure they can understand. I can't thank Khaled and his team enough for their contribution all these years. If it wasn't for mIRC... well, it wouldn't have been the same.

S
S
Wonderful story! Thank you for sharing your experiences smile

~ Namaste ~

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
while I didnt MEET my wife on IRC, we got to know each other there. We met on an online game website, played there for a few weeks till I dragged her to IRC. That is where we spent almost a year getting to know each other the "old way"..... before webcams, before video or audio conferencing, before the online dating sites etc. The channel I had a home in on dalnet was quite the IRC dating room in that manypeople got together, some got married from the room in question. Was just kind of funny.

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
nice stories

yay for irc!

Link Copied to Clipboard