mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#234133 08/10/11 10:21 AM
A
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
A
Hi, I need to discuss a request before I officially suggest it.

Is there a logical way to trigger highlighting behavior even when a channel is selected (has the focus), such as when one is AFK (away from keyboard)?

Possibilities:
1) Clicking on the window dismisses the highlight.
2) The timestamp of the last highlight appears in the titlebar or elsewhere.
3) Entering text dismisses the highlight.
4) The number or timestamps of the last N many highlights are displayed.
5) Scrolling past a highlight dismisses it.
6) Just click on a non-channel window before you go AFK.

The different options have different effects on the display of information in the app. If any, they would almost certainly be options, instead of required.

Triggering highlight is distinct from triggering message/event behavior, because the user can see the latter two without scrolling the window.

Also, is it possible to trigger highlight behavior (line coloring and "channel bar" blinking) in custom windows with a /window option? Or must one recreate the behavior in the script which controls that window?

I'm not the only one that doesn't want to miss his highlights. Also, are there any options for context-responsive tab-completion or nick list sorting, and do you like my forum icon? I'm not going to start threads on them if they're not interesting.

A
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
A
Barring those options being addressed, there is a simple workaround: just echo to another or dedicated window.

This line echoes to the status window, applies highlighting to the line, and suppresses highlighting in the switchbar (chanbar).

echo -lns highlight: [[ $+ $chan $+ ]] < $+ $nick $+ > $1-

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Much of what you are suggesting can be scripted and is not necessarily something that most people will use. In general, if something can be scripted and the number of people who would use it are low, it often will not be added. Some of your suggestions are just a little too narrowly focused, imo. For example, it's unlikely that too many people would care about having a highlight timestamp in their titlebar. Being optional doesn't change the fact that few people would be interested in it, so there really isn't a lot of reason to add that. And that's also not hard to script.

Btw, if you just want to discuss an idea before suggesting it as a new feature as you said at the beginning, you should discuss it in another forum. This forum is for "officially" suggesting things. If you're not sure that something is worth suggesting, it's usually better to discuss it in another forum first to avoid cluttering this forum with suggestions that you later decide weren't worth suggesting.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Originally Posted By: Riamus2
In general, if something can be scripted and the number of people who would use it are low, it often will not be added.

Everything "almost" can be scripted one way or another, if not it can be done with a dll, bether to just leav it with "if something can be scripted and the number of people who would use it are low, it often will not be added." or if what you said first is true, then no new fetures will be added to mirc? smile dont want to flame, but maybe was a clumsy way to say it from you? wink

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }

Link Copied to Clipboard