mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#234074 04/10/11 09:53 PM
I
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
I
Hello About 15 months, mirc server list (servers.ini) updated the new version will be updated server list?

IRCForum #234078 04/10/11 11:05 PM
N
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
N
Originally Posted By: IRCForum
Hello About 15 months, mirc server list (servers.ini) updated the new version will be updated server list?

updated server list?

nesguik #234079 05/10/11 02:37 AM
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
updated server lists generally come out when there is a new release.. So watch for next release, and it should tell you if it is updated at that time (when next release is.. when its ready (to quote khaled <wink>)

Help others! It makes the world a better place, Makes you feel good, and makes you Healthy!
HorseC #234195 11/10/11 08:10 PM
I
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
I
The server list on new mirc v7.21 has not been updated. I heard that Tjerk Vonck does not deal with mirc anymore, and so the server list will not be updated anymore. I will be very glad if someone can tell me the truth. Will mirc server list (servers.ini) be updated on the new versions?

IRCForum #234197 11/10/11 08:25 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
If Tjerk doesn't do it anymore someone else will. There is no question about that.

The public beta is for testing the changes being made to the program itself, I wouldn't expect the servers.ini to be changed in the beta release.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
IRCForum #234379 22/10/11 09:17 PM
H
Babel fish
Babel fish
H
Originally Posted By: IRCForum
The server list on new mirc v7.21 has not been updated. I heard that Tjerk Vonck does not deal with mirc anymore, and so the server list will not be updated anymore. I will be very glad if someone can tell me the truth. Will mirc server list (servers.ini) be updated on the new versions?

HUH???!!! Tjerk gone? What about http://www.mirc.com/tjerk.html ? If true, this is one person who will truly miss him.

mIRC 7.51, 64-bit Win-7/SP1 Home Premium
IRC Operator irc.Prison.NET
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
version 7.22 DOES have a new server list.. that should answer all of the above.

Help others! It makes the world a better place, Makes you feel good, and makes you Healthy!
HorseC #234399 23/10/11 11:56 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Copy and paste this addon [snipped] into your mIRC Script Editor to the "Remote" section and right click to the Status window and select the "Update now" option to automatically update your mIRC servers or use /update_serverlist command when you load the addon.

Last edited by Khaled; 25/10/11 09:32 AM.

Need Online mIRC help or an mIRC Scripting Freelancer? -> https://irc.chathub.org <-
westor #234404 23/10/11 05:00 PM
H
Babel fish
Babel fish
H
Recommend that nobody add any script until this forum's moderator or Khaled approves it. You never know what you're going to catch from strangers.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
First: the WEBSITE that i have said HAWKEE.COM to visit is recommended by the forum administrators, check it in the HELP section of the mIRC website.

Second: I would never post any script that i don't know what is inside!

Third: The HAWKEE.COM website has automatically scans if the script,snippet that any user post into the website is protected from virus or any other attacks.

Need Online mIRC help or an mIRC Scripting Freelancer? -> https://irc.chathub.org <-
westor #234406 23/10/11 05:50 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I think the his point was that not all websites appreciate people using socket scripts to access the site. I have no idea what Khaled would think of that kind of script, but I'm sure that isn't the only one that has been made that accesses this site and it's probably fine.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Riamus2 #234409 23/10/11 09:52 PM
H
Babel fish
Babel fish
H
In general, I feel that since many of the readers here are amongst the uninitiated, at the very least, getting approval of a moderator is teaching and encouraging good mIRC and internet practices. Presumably, one whom Khaled has appointed a forum or site moderator, knows enough to take a script apart, and spot any gotchas. I also noticed the sockets accesses, but don't know enough about them to be able to comment either to condemn or congratulate, which is why I asked Khaled to take a look at it.

Concerning "First: the WEBSITE that i have said HAWKEE.COM to visit is recommended by the forum administrators, check it in the HELP section of the mIRC website," could you please supply the URL to that "HELP section" ... "recommended by the forum administrators." I find nothing there on the matter.

Last edited by Handle_With_Care; 23/10/11 10:09 PM.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
In general, a script on hawkee or mircscripts should already be verified to be safe. Khaled isn't going to verify your scripts for you and most people on this forum won't bother opening up scripts from various sites just to check them for you.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Originally Posted By: Handle_With_Care

Concerning "First: the WEBSITE that i have said HAWKEE.COM to visit is recommended by the forum administrators, check it in the HELP section of the mIRC website," could you please supply the URL to that "HELP section" ... "recommended by the forum administrators." I find nothing there on the matter.

found by clicking the link at the top of the forums that says "Help" (imagine that)
Quote:
Scripts, Addons, DLLs and Tutorials

The mIRC Scripting Language can be used to extend mIRC in a variety of ways, from managing your channels more easily to playing games. If you are looking for ways to extend mIRC, or if you are learning how to script and need examples to learn from, you can find a wide range of resources on the mIRC Scripting Network, ScriptsDB and Hawkee websites.

now why do you think that Hawkee would be mentioned if the forum administrators hadn't approved it?

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
CtrlAltDel #234429 24/10/11 07:37 PM
H
Babel fish
Babel fish
H
Okay, okay. Several things:

First, I was looking in the forum's Help section, not considering that what was being referred to was mirc.com's Help section. Found it and see the information referenced.

Second, I don't think it's worth going to war over. There are (or should be) more important things in real life.

Finally, what we appear to have here is a difference in philosophy. While I stick to my original point that care needs to be taken when newbies are around: They get caught in too many traps set by the unethical and downright malicious. Nevertheless, Khaled has determined that that does not apply to the recommended site, and this is his baby, so I'll accept it. While I have rarely disagreed with Khaled's determinations, there have been a few -- a very few. Having been in the business of helping post-graduate students and doctoral candidates, I'm aware of how busy to the point of being overwhelmed they can be.

In general I, along with most here, have used another's script, from recommendation, request, or testing. We each have our own ways of judging the realiability and competence of the script supplier. My own success rate has been about 50-50, i.e., not all have worked as described, and a couple have even been destructive, but most continue to work satisfactorily. So, I tend to be on the cautious side when it comes to scripts, especially as a server oper on a major network.

Last edited by Handle_With_Care; 24/10/11 07:53 PM.

Riamus2 #234431 24/10/11 08:21 PM
Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: Riamus2
In general, a script on hawkee or mircscripts should already be verified to be safe.

And yet the very first snippet on the hawkee front page right now is trivially remotely exploitable to execute arbitrary commands, while a bit further down the same front page we find this gem..

Perhaps the blanket endorsement in question should be reconsidered?

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
Sat #234433 25/10/11 02:08 AM
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
That's when it comes down to individuals responsibility. Read the comments. Like in the second example plenty of comments say it's a joke script basically.

If a person can't read comments, look at ratings, etc. They are simply asking for trouble. I can't tell you the last time I've had a virus, because I just play it safe and don't download stuff I don't know about or visit those malicious websites. In the end it comes down to common sense (which is that common any more), there should be no reason to have to nanny people.

http://scripting.pball.win
My personal site with some scripts I've released.
pball #234435 25/10/11 10:09 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Submitting a post that links to a script and actively tells people to download it can be problematic because we cannot analyze every script that posters link to or check the script repeatedly to ensure that it has not changed. As for the Help section of the mIRC website: there are links to many useful websites, each of which have their own communities, policies and so on. If a user visits a scripting website, they will need to read reviews and comments on that website to determine whether a script is useful or not. The same applies to all websites that provide addons for applications. If you believe that one of the websites in the Help section should not be there, please email me. Thanks for the comments everyone.

Link Copied to Clipboard