mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
Basically 0^0 and 0/0 are undefined in a strict interpretation, but in specific applications it is convenient to allow them to take on particular values. In the case of 0^0, it turns out that it is convenient in a LOT of situations to let it equal 1 because it has certain implications, but even so it's not rigorously correct. On the other hand, defining 0/0 a particular way doesn't really seem to have the same kind of ramifications so it's mostly left undefined.

D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
Originally Posted By: Marek_Andrzej
on the other way

if x->0 then limes(x/x)=limes(x'/x')=limes(1/1)=1

That just tells you that the expression x/x tends toward 1 when x tends toward 0. It doesn't say that 0/0 equals anything.

Limits describe behavior AROUND a point, but completely ignores the behavior AT that point.

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Originally Posted By: Marek_Andrzej
I agree with all but its not explaning why not 0/0=1

0 divided by any number cannot be 1 because 0 is less than one to begin with!

M
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
this the question is zero is real number or not

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Zero is a real number, yes.

But that wasn't the original question. The original question raised by your post was this:
Does dividing zero (or any other value) by zero equal zero, one, or any other meaningful value?

The answer is simple and very well established: No. It does not.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
M
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
if zero is real number than why is not the same of the real numbers because not division by zero?

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Lets turn the question around: Why do you think 0 / 0 = 1? You can't just say "A number divided by itself equals one, therefore the result for this calculation must be one", that's backwards. Mathematics is based on logic. A rule is made based on the facts, not the other way round. Give a mathematical proof that 0 / 0 = 1 and then you can state that any number divided by itself equals one. Until then there is no such rule or at the very least zero is an exception to that rule.

Frankly though this is all beyond the scope of this forum. This isn't the place to try and redefine fundamental tenets of mathematics, it's just a forum for an IRC client and its scripting language. Division by zero being undefined is a well established fact in maths, I'm certain there are many many places on the internet where it is explained much more clearly and in far greater detail than any answer you will get on this forum.

M
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
I don't know either world forums. I think that 0/0=1 because that logical string of R/R all number gives 1 only 0 not why?

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
For the sake of this thread lets just say that it's because 0 is magical.

M
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
if zero is magical why is in set of real numbers

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Aforementioned link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_by_zero gives several algebra/calculus (i.e. "high school level math") examples why not. While I cannot comprehend any "higher" math, they are quite plausible to me. Did you give serious thought to them, or do you just adhere to a simple mnemonic?

M
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
wikipedia is not good place for this .

M
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
I read the wikipedia and say that I say ,because:
if 0/0=1 then 1*0=0 then all right

Q
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Q
The "all right" part is your conclusion, not Wikipedia's. If you had read that article more carefully, you would have seen the following:
Originally Posted By: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_by_zero#Division_as_the_inverse_of_multiplication
Again, any number multiplied by 0 is 0 and so this time every number solves the equation instead of there being a single number that can be taken as the value of 0/0.

In general, a single value can't be assigned to a fraction where the denominator is 0 so the value remains undefined (see below for other applications).

/.timerQ 1 0 echo /.timerQ 1 0 $timer(Q).com
M
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
I don't write about any number but only 0

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard