Print Thread
#232894 29/06/11 09:54 AM
L
Lloyd_B Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
L
I was wondering, is there any problem with people creating their own mIRC archive of previous versions?

The reason I ask is I have been maintaining an archive of mIRC versions on a website I maintain. I don't get any money from the archive. I simply maintain it for fun, nostalgia, convenience and because I recommend using mIRC to my moderators as well as regular chatters.

I haven't posted it's location publicly since I don't want a flood of people coming to it when a new version is released. However, I don't discourage people from using the archive. One of the reasons I maintain it is I help run an IRC channel and mIRC is the recommended IRC client for using with Windows.

Anyway, I was wondering if there's anyone who objects to my keeping an archive of past versions going back to mIRC v2.1a (16-bit). I don't know if there were any versions before that one. I'm hoping that my archive doesn't offend anyone. If there is a problem I'd appreciate someone letting me know through this forum post or private message through this forum.

Lloyd
Lloyd_B #232895 29/06/11 10:16 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I can't give you an official response, but my guess is that as long as you are providing the installers for those versions and not just a copy of the files themselves, then it's probably fine.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Riamus2 #232896 29/06/11 11:24 AM
L
Lloyd_B Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
L
I'm providing them as I found them. I didn't alter them, didn't take anything away nor add to them.

I acquired this collection from the following websites:
Old Version: http://www.oldversion.com/mIRC.html
and
mIRC Scripts: http://www.mircscripts.com/old/
(http://www.mircscripts.com seems to be a dead link now though).

The rest of them are from me collecting them on my own and gathering release data from 'versions.txt' and these forums. So, I hope things are in proper order.

Lloyd
Lloyd_B #232897 29/06/11 11:56 AM
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
The archive can contain any files you want except mIRC.exe

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Wims #232898 29/06/11 12:00 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If it's the installers, mIRC.exe isn't a problem. smile

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Riamus2 #232899 29/06/11 12:10 PM
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Indeed, but I never seen a mIRC installer called "mirc.exe" wink

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Wims #232923 29/06/11 11:34 PM
L
Lloyd_B Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
L
Ok, sounds like I'm in the clear.

I might as well just let everyone see the archive in case anyone wants to see it. Perhaps some may want to bookmark it in the event someone wants it as a resource.

http://paranormal-chats.com/software/mirc/

I've tried to make it as clean and simple as possible. The website's main purpose is not to act as an archive for mIRC but since I'm already doing it, I wanted to at least give it a nice appearance.

Lloyd
Lloyd_B #233014 08/07/11 01:14 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
http://mirc.net/mirc.php

Seems to have all of the previous versions up until 7.1...

What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us?
Jigsy #233147 16/07/11 12:59 PM
L
Lloyd_B Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
L
Thanks, it's good to know there's another partial archive around. It's too bad they didn't continue the list. I intend to keep mine updated as new versions become available even if mine is mostly an unknown resource.

Lloyd
Lloyd_B #234305 15/10/11 09:57 PM
T
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
T
I have an archive, also...except mine is on a cd-rw in a drawer, next to archives other programs I use. I use them mostly for compatibility purposes...I even have an old x386 computer with mirc installed that I fire up once in a while...

Lloyd_B #234306 15/10/11 10:08 PM
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
The EULA says you can redistribute mIRC as long as you don't modify it and contact Khaled:

Originally Posted By: EULA
mIRC may only be distributed as part of the original mIRC install file as distributed by mIRC Co. Ltd. mIRC and the mIRC install file may not be distributed as a part of any package and may not be modified, decompiled, disassembled, or reverse engineered.

If you would like to distribute mIRC as part of a magazine, book, cd-rom, website, or any other form of distribution, you must contact mIRC Co. Ltd. for written authorization.

In other words, the official response is: email Khaled and ask.

Practically speaking, though, there are at least a few existing sites that archive old versions of mIRC... and I don't think they got explicit authorization from Khaled-- but I cannot confirm this-- just a feeling I get. Frankly, I'm not even sure how strong a redistribution clause is in the license agreement to begin with, given that you are simply making something available which was freely obtained (free as in freedom, not $$$) on a website. If archive.org is allowed to redistribute html pages from old websites, the same freedom should apply to anything else downloaded from those sites. I'm no lawyer, though.

I would assume that the general rule of thumb is: (1) don't misrepresent mIRC, (2) don't modify the redistributables, (3) take the site down if Khaled asks you to. If you follow those steps, I don't think you should have anything to worry about. Khaled has historically been pretty accepting of people redistributing mIRC as long as they were doing so with good intentions.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"

Link Copied to Clipboard