mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
C
CaveGuy Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
C
Are there any requirements for existing mIRC Default Favorite Channels? Is there a complaint process? I have come across one channel that is kick/ban happy. Clearly affecting newbie/potential chatters. Many of the channel OPs are powerless over the bots. Can't even explain why someone is banned. The kick messages are stupid, usually making jokes of the ban. Maybe they would change there ways if they understood there practice is hurting IRC and they could loose their status as a default favorite. What, if any, are the grounds for removing a channel from the mIRC default favorite channels list?
Thanks!

CaveGuy
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I'm quite sure that Khaled will read your post and take such action as he finds appropriate.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Is there a channel name / network associated with your complaint?

I think it would be fine to lodge your complaint here, but you should be aware of a few things:

1) Channels on IRC can follow whatever rules they want, and they don't need to tell you what they are. Users, even "newbs", need to be aware of this. If anything, the sooner they learn this lesson the better, IMO. IRC can be a harsh place, but the cost of being kicked is extremely low, so /joining another channel should not be a big deal. Removing channels just because they don't follow your standards of niceness would skew how new users see IRC and only delay the inevitable. IRCing for 10 months on a safe channel and then joining a "harsh" channel and getting kicked soon after will only be more confusing than joining that harsh channel first and understanding the way IRC really works. Note that this is not a defense of the channel's actions, just a dose of reality.

2) Certainly "unreasonable" rules might convince Khaled to remove a channel from default favourites, but nothing you've described here so far seems unreasonable to me. Kick messages are often meaningless, so almost all channels would have this "problem". Furthermore, while it's certainly helpful, ops aren't required to tell you why they removed you, see #1. Unreasonable to me would be some form of broad discrimination of users; not isolated cases.

3) More importantly, what seems arbitrary and "stupid" to you might be well deserved to the ops. I know tons of users who complain to me about kicks when they *thought* they were following the rules, but weren't. Any complaint of that form would likely need the other side of the story, and it would be unfair for Khaled to remove any channel based on an opaque kick policy alone. Otherwise, it would be easy for one vocal user to come in and complain about a channel just because they took a kick too personally. At a glance, it seems like this is your situation here... unless you are reporting on behalf of more than just your own experience?

4) Going back to #1, I think you're putting too much emphasis on the pain of being kicked from a single channel. I highly doubt this will have a significant negative impact on a user's total IRC experience. Channels can be joined/parted quite easily-- being removed from one should hardly have a big effect on anybody. More importantly, as "new users", they probably don't have [m]any friends in said channel, so is it really such a big deal? Are there any other reasons besides their arbitrary kicking policy that is annoying you?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"

Link Copied to Clipboard