mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
R
Ritari Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
R
As the subject says, my mIRC won't open any links anymore. This occured after I updated my mIRC to the latest version (7.19). Before this I had used the previous version, was it 7.17 without any problems ever. I first just updated my old mIRC to this new one but it lagged like hell. When I switched for example from Firefox to mIRC it took ~5-10 seconds before I could write anything there. This happened after reboot etc. At that point I deleted everything related to mIRC (yes, even the files in the separate folder) and installed it again. Since then this lag hasn't appeared but I'm facing another problem: I can't open any links pasted in mIRC. In addition to this I can't use my mouse right click. It just brings up the catalogue where is for example "Channel Modes". Does anyone else have this problem or does someone happen to know how this could be fixed?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Try to use (/url www.mirc.com) did the mirc opens the url into the browser? , for the right click you must load manual the aliases,popups,scripts have a look here

Need Online mIRC help or an mIRC Scripting Freelancer? -> https://irc.chathub.org <-
R
Ritari Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
R
mIRC doesn't do anything when I try to open an url. It doesn't matter whether it begins with http:// or just www., nothing happens. The latter part of your message didn't help me either. I followed the instructions but it didn't help.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
There were no changes in the latest version of mIRC that could have affected right-click popup menus or the opening of websites. If you were using mIRC v7.17 and upgraded to v7.19, you should have seen little difference other than the changes mentioned in the versions.txt file.

Which anti-virus software are you using? Some anti-virus software will delete files that it incorrectly thinks contain trojans or viruses, and may interfere with the way mIRC works. This often happens when installing new versions of software that the anti-virus software is not aware of.

R
Ritari Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
R
I'm using Avast!. It has been in use for years now, so I don't think it's the problem. It always has prompted before deleting anything. Could it be somehow due to my firewall, Online Armor? It is always asking stupid questions but I allowed all concerning mIRC.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: Ritari
I'm using Avast!. It has been in use for years now, so I don't think it's the problem. It always has prompted before deleting anything. Could it be somehow due to my firewall, Online Armor? It is always asking stupid questions but I allowed all concerning mIRC.

Try to search for the popups.ini & aliases.ini files in these directions:

//run $mircdir
or
//run $scriptdir

if you find one of them report here the files direction to help you

Need Online mIRC help or an mIRC Scripting Freelancer? -> https://irc.chathub.org <-
R
Ritari Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
R
They're located here: C:\Documents and Settings\**User name**\Application Data\mIRC\scripts, if that's what you wanted to know?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
good, now use these commands in the mirc.

/load -a C:\Documents and Settings\**User name**\Application Data\mIRC\scripts\aliases.ini

/load -ps C:\Documents and Settings\**User name**\Application Data\mIRC\scripts\popups.ini
/load -pc C:\Documents and Settings\**User name**\Application Data\mIRC\scripts\popups.ini
/load -pq C:\Documents and Settings\**User name**\Application Data\mIRC\scripts\popups.ini
/load -pn C:\Documents and Settings\**User name**\Application Data\mIRC\scripts\popups.ini
/load -pm C:\Documents and Settings\**User name**\Application Data\mIRC\scripts\popups.ini

NOTE: when **User name** is replace it with your real. and if the currently directions are not working find the full direction of the aliases.ini & popups.ini files and replace them with the currently.

R
Ritari Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
R
"* /load: no such file 'C:\Documents'" It doesn't understand the spaces and I have no clue how to replace them. I remember seeing in some Windows' command prompt this kind of directories marked as something like "DOCUMENTS~1" but in my current XP it just shows it as "Documents and Settings". smirk

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Change the commands to look like this:

/load -ps "C:\Documents and Settings\**User name**\Application Data\mIRC\scripts\popups.ini"

Depending on whether your system has short filenames enabled, you can use the ~1 method. It's done as the first 6 non-space characters followed by ~1. For example, c:\docume~1\ .

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
R
Ritari Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
R
Hmph. When I first wrote what Riamus2 told the right mouse click worked. Then I tried to open a link, which once again didn't work. After that the right mouse click doesn't work either.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I have not been able to reproduce this issue here so far, so my guess is that it is due to your anti-virus or firewall software. I am going to install Avast and Online Armor on a clean machine to see if I can reproduce the issue. Which versions of Avast and Online Armor are you using?

Also, if Avast or Online Armor have a "logging" or "logs" section, do they show any activity relating to mIRC?

R
Ritari Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
R
I just updated my Avast to the newest version, 6.0.1000. My Online Armor should also be the latest version, 4.5.1.431.

Online Armor has logs that have mIRC included. Program guard blocked mirc.exe from "remotely controlling" svchost.exe somewhere around the time I turned mIRC on. When I tried to open a link in mIRC program guard blocked guard32.dll from starting firefox.exe and at the same second it also blocked mirc.exe from remotely controlling firefox.exe. I wonder how the hell has it decided not to let mirc.exe control firefox.exe. However, for some reason I can't find mirc.exe anywhere in the firewall's options, so I can't let it access firefox.exe. Should mirc.exe be able to access svchost.exe as well?

R
Ritari Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
R
It appears that Khaled was right. I had allowed mirc.exe to access all the necessary files and it was listed as a trusted program but Online Armor nevertheless blocked it from remotely controlling firefox.exe. This resulted in the right mouse click not working after trying to open a link.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience. I just couldn't believe that anything could be wrong with the firewall settings since I had allowed mirc.exe to do what it wants to. I guess I'll have to once again start looking for a new, better firewall. tired

Last edited by Ritari; 20/03/11 09:50 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
No problem at all, it can be really frustrating when anti-virus or firewall applications do this without telling you. When you try to open a link in mIRC, mIRC passes the link to your default browser in the standard way that applications are supposed to, so I can't think why it is being blocked. Online Armor should at least let you know that it is blocking an application, so that you don't waste your time trying to figure out what is going on - for all you know, it may be quietly affecting other applications as well.

R
Ritari Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
R
Indeed. It would be interesting to know what sort of things it does behind my back. At first I thought I had finally found a good firewall but it seems I was wrong once again. At least so far I haven't noticed other programs behaving in an odd manner, so it might be concerning only mIRC. However, I can't be sure of this. At least in the future I know I'll have to check Online Armor's log first.

Thank you for your fast reply. Keep up the good work you've done so far with mIRC. smile

S
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
S
Out of the blue I had the same problem pop up for the first time after years and years of mIRC use.

For some reason when I was following some of the advice in this thread and I ended up in the mIRC folder I decided to set mIRC.exe to administrator(Windows 7) and now my links are opening just fine in my current browser window.

I just thought I'd register and post this in case somebody else can make use of this!

Last edited by smokerings; 21/03/11 01:33 PM.
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I, for one, thank you for sharing this advice. This is the type of thing that makes the forums work.

Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
I ran into this same problem using version 7.5.1 myself... however, I found the issue in a setting. To find it, go to:

Options > Other
click on the "Keys..." button
the 6th checkbox is "Shift key enables hotlinks"

With this option checked, you have to hold down the shift key in order for the mouse pointer to change to a hand over a URL and allow you to double-click and open it in a browser.

With this option UNchecked, you do not need to use the shift key and can simply double-click on URLs to open them in a browser.

I hope this information is helpful.

Mistress Carolyn
Long time user and supporter of mIRC

Link Copied to Clipboard