mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#229655 12/02/11 07:57 PM
E
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
E
I have a friend that is using Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit version.

mIRC v7.17 freezes when trying to connect. it doesn't switch to not responding but simply freezes.

things we have tried
turning off av and firewall
running as admin..
fresh install of mirc

old 6.35 version works with no problems.

Another odd thing is one using a socket connection. you start one instance and it freezes on local

start another without closing the first it proceeds through the server socket and freezes.

freezes on a fresh install with nothing loaded as well

I've never encountered this problem before. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
It sounds to me like mIRC is only freezing when initiating TCP connections, which sounds to me like something is blocking mIRC from getting a socket descriptor.

The only things I know that can cause that is a firewall/AV software, or a virus. Given that you've asserted your firewall/av are off, perhaps you should turn the AV back on and check for a virus. .. though it might be wise to double check that your AV/firewall are actually off. Keep in mind your AV might have its own firewall, and that there is also a Windows firewall to deal with.

Also of possibility: mIRC doesn't have privileges to initiate a connection, which would be more of a group policy guest account type deal.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Also, be sure you really are testing with the AV/firewall turned off. Many AV programs have an off option that doesn't really disable it completely.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
This could be related to UPnP which is enabled by default in mIRC. Some routers handle UPnP in a way that may cause an application to pause while the router is replying. If you disable UPnP in mIRC Options->Connect->Options->Ports does that help?

Babel fish
Babel fish
Khaled, you are a GENIUS! smile I had this exact same problem and now that I have disabled UPnP in mIRC, the problem went away. Thank you, so much!

-Zmodem

Link Copied to Clipboard