Print Thread
R
riahc3 Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
R
Hey

Im kinda tired seeing most script devs recommending a security bugged filled 6.35 as the developers of mIRC have changed a couple of things and their scripts are incompatible so they tell users to install 6.35 and since users are dumb, they do it.

Is there any way to:
1: Force old clients to update; Maybe it would have to be done server-side.
2: Break old scripts.

I know its a bit harsh but I think it is neccesary.

Thanks.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
mIRC isn't ever going to force users to upgrade. If users choose to use older versions that can potentially have security issues, that is their choice. Just the same as how users can install outdated antivirus (or not keep it updated) if they want to. No one is going to force users to be smart. Why are you concerned about what others are doing anyhow? They aren't affecting you by using an older version of mIRC.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: riahc3
a security bugged filled 6.35

Can you name as much as one security vulnerability in 6.35?

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
You meant "as many" not "as much" Excuse me for being off-topic.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
It's not necessary.

First of all, even WE recommend that some users continue to use 6.35. See issues regarding codepage support. Breaking these versions would contradict a lot of the advice we're already giving.

Secondly, I don't know of any security issues with 6.35. Where is this claim coming from?

Finally, as was mentioned, upgrading is the user's choice. It's not mIRC's place to force people to do anything they don't want to. mIRC already informs you of new versions, I believe that's sufficient. Education is more important than hand holding.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"

Link Copied to Clipboard