mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
P
pball Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
P
There is a decent list of raw responses I've made snipplets to echo to active and block mirc from showing in the status window.

But I feel the following things should be shown in the active window and not the status window

raw 672: part of the whois response, should appear in active like the other whois reponses
raw 341: reply when inviting someone to a chan
raw 716 and 717: response when nick has mode +gG set
raw 401: nick isn't online or nonexistant
raw 408: mode +c set can't send "message"
raw 301: nick is away message

I doubt anything will happen but it annoyed me to no end when these were sent to the status window since I'd notice them later on after I did something. I just feel these messages should be sent to the active window since you'd notice it right away and it'd be of more help.

http://scripting.pball.win
My personal site with some scripts I've released.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
try using /haltdef command !

e.g: raw 401:*: { haltdef | ... ... }

Need Online mIRC help or an mIRC Scripting Freelancer? -> https://irc.chathub.org <-
P
pball Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
P
I see you missed my point. I already have scripted all of these to appear in the active window and have them halt. I'm saying mirc should do that by default thus this is a suggestion and not in the scripts or help section.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
With the exception of 672, it's mostly debatable whether those messages should show in the active window by default.

The *status window* exists specifically for response codes from the server regarding commands you've sent it that aren't related to a channel, or are otherwise error messages. Specifically, it's important that the *status* window log error messages, otherwise there's no one place to see such errors. Although it may be unintuitive for things like can't send message, or +g responses, I don't see a problem with the behaviour, conceptually.

I think if anything they should be toggleable, but that just leads to 7 new checkboxes, which is ugly. Scripting it is much simpler.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
P
pball Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
P
My argument especially for +Ggc is that you aren't in the status window when trying to send a message to a nick or chan and the error should appear where you are. Other wise you're likely to miss that error.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
There are many "status" related messages that you're likely to miss if you don't check the status window. Some of them are important, some of them are not, and it very much depends on who's reading them. Some people don't care about +g, for instance, while others think a "DCC aborted" message warrants a blinking message with a buzzer sound. Rather than form an opinion about what messages matter to you, mIRC displays most status messages in the status window. It's your choice to pick out the important ones, or otherwise opt-in via a script.

If mIRC were to shove every message that was deemed "important" into the active window, you'd end up with important messages in random windows that end up being hard to track down, instead of one single location. Like I said, it might seem unintuitive and error prone, but that's what the status window is for: collecting your status messages. Most people should be checking it often enough, or at least when it highlights (you can disable ping/pong to improve the signal/noise ratio).

And again, if the behaviour doesn't suit you, script it.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Originally Posted By: argv0
If mIRC were to shove every message that was deemed "important" into the active window, you'd end up with important messages in random windows that end up being hard to track down, instead of one single location. Like I said, it might seem unintuitive and error prone, but that's what the status window is for: collecting your status messages. Most people should be checking it often enough, or at least when it highlights (you can disable ping/pong to improve the signal/noise ratio).

Windows MDI interface in all honesty totally defeats it's purpose and making it necessary to display pretty much everything in the active window. It is unintuitive and error prone the way it is. You admit this yourself. And this TOTALLY nullifies the rest of the argument.

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Err, what? The whole point of MDI is so that you can segment information into proper windows. It's exactly the opposite of "needing to display everything in the active window". MDI allows you to NOT have to display everything in one window. This is the reason why mIRC is an MDI application. If you don't like that, then maybe mIRC is not for you.

I pointed out that it was unintuitive for those who are not used to (or don't like, for whatever reason) MDI and mIRC's interface. If you fall into this bucket, well, there's not much that can be done. Your basically arguing that MDI is an inherently poor design choice and should be removed, but MDI isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so your argument doesn't hold much weight.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Originally Posted By: argv0
Err, what? The whole point of MDI is so that you can segment information into proper windows. It's exactly the opposite of "needing to display everything in the active window". MDI allows you to NOT have to display everything in one window. This is the reason why mIRC is an MDI application. If you don't like that, then maybe mIRC is not for you.

MDI isn't an mIRC issue... it's a Windows issue... MDI is basically windows organized within another Window. http://aarongiles.com/?p=231 talks about this... (Yes I too used CodeWarrior and I really like it's feature to disable MDI).

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
MDI is an "mIRC issue" because it's an inherent part of mIRC's UI that is not going away any time soon. Khaled has stated on the forums a few times that he is not removing MDI. The most relevant post I could find using the horrible forum search is:

https://forums.mirc.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=222677&page=6&PHPSESSID=af

But I'm fairly sure there was a more direct "MDI will not be removed" response.

If your point was to educate me about MDI, thanks, but I already know what it is.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
For the raw 301 event is a checkbox in the mIRC Options under "IRC" to show it in active window.

one step closer to world domination

Link Copied to Clipboard